Who is the greatest Roman Emperor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the greatest Roman Emperor?

In this thread, I've included my top ten Roman Emperors, (in chronological order for the poll). In your opinion, who is the greatest? Why?

I chose Marcus Aurelius because of his considerable contributions to philosophy and government as well as his military exploits.
    Augustus (r. 27 BC - AD 14)
    43.33%
    Tiberius (r. AD 14 - 37)
    0.00%
    Claudius (r. AD 41 - 54)
    0.00%
    Vespasian (r. AD 69 - 79)
    6.67%
    Trajan (r. AD 98 - 117)
    13.33%
    Hadrian (r. AD 117 -138)
    10.00%
    Marcus Aurelius (r. AD 161 - 180)
    16.67%
    Diocletian (r. AD 284 - 305)
    0.00%
    Constantine I (r. AD 307 - 337)
    10.00%
    Theodosius I (r. AD 379 - 395)
    0.00%
    Last edited by Alexander I; June 9, 2007, 15:26.
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

It's pretty hard to overshadow Augustus. The length of his reign, his young age at the start of his career, the peaceful transition from a shattered Republic to the Principate.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

The passing the title to Commodus by Marcus Aurelius prevents him from holding the "greatest" title IMO. Commodus was his son, and M. Aurelius couldn't be who he was without being at least a reasonable judge of character. He couldn't have expected Commodus to be a good Emperor, and still he chose him as his heir, making a sentimentality more important than the well being of the Empire.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Constantine for reuniting the Empire and not dividing it again.
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Marcus Aurelius
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Vespasian.

Augustus I almost picked but the Republic was in shambles and they were ready to line behind someone for stability.

Vespasian kept it alive. Not only did he had to deal with a 'vietnam' in judea that was exacerbated by ethnic strife, crime, etc (made Iraq look tame) he had to fight a civil war and deal with a cold-war of sorts against a Parthian Empire. Imagine if Vietnam (or this Iraq war) the US was also fighting a civil war on the scale of 1860 and in a major cold-war with the Soviet Union. Tough times and Vespasian pulled it off.

Have a nice day!
            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Nero, but only when played by Peter Ustinov
              Blah

Comment

I voted Vespasian for consolidating the Empire after the decay under Nero and subsequent troubles. I also love his prosaic nature and dry humor ("Pecunia non olet"; and "Vae, deus puto fio" - Dear, I think I'm becoming a god. Really 1st classy last words).

Augustus is a close second, mnaybe I just didn't pick him in order to get someone else into the debate.

Diocletian not, he failed in his most important task: There still are Christians wherever I look.

Marcus Aurelius - hardly. I'm not a true friend of philosophical navel-gazing and after all, Marcus Aurelius is the best example of why: What is all this self reflection good for when you choose Commodus as your successor...
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

Marcus Aurelius - hardly. I'm not a true friend of philosophical navel-gazing and after all, Marcus Aurelius is the best example of why: What is all this self reflection good for when you choose Commodus as your successor...
                  Well Commodus was certainly not a good emperor, but he wasn't nearly as bad as Joaquin Phoenix's rendition in Gladiator.
                  The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                  "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                  "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                  The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Aurelian? The amount of **** he had to deal with dragging the Empire back from the brink is astounding...
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

There was only one good emperor and that was the one who the office was made for, the only time circumstances were in favour.

Comment

I chose Hadrian, who pulled back from the unrealistic boundaries set by Trajan's exploits in Mesopotamia, and to this day has some nifty masonry to his name.

He also suppressed the Jewish Revolt and replaced Jerusalem with Aelia Capitolina...

Discover information and facts about Hadrians Wall and look at pictures of the famous barrier in our online gallery.
                        Attached Files
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                          Nero, but only when played by Peter Ustinov
                          Claudius, when played by Derek Jacobi!

Comment

I don't mean to turn the History forum into my own personal book club, but I've come to realize that my knowledge of Roman and Byzantine history is woefully inadequate and I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations for quality sources. I'm familiar with Gibbon, of course, but other than that I'm basically ignorant.

Thanks in advance.

(It goes without saying that I didn't vote in this particular poll)

Thanks.
                            I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

Marcus Aurelius - hardly.
                              Marcus Aurelius - the most utterly different.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X