No announcement yet.

Emancipation of Women in Asia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old school mexican women are the same. They are submissive and do as they are told by their husband. I see it as part of their culture. My ex mother in law was of this type of woman and she waited on her husband hand and foot and never questioned him. She did as she was told and thats it.
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
      One very good thing about India, IMO, is that women never had to fight for their rights - the constitution makers were foresighted and enlightened enough, at the time of independence, to simply give them those rights, without even being asked.
      Yes, it's fortunate that the Western-educated elite didn't write a discriminatory constitution at a time when all other democratic countries had womens' suffrage, too.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Anyway, India's not in Asia.

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Yes, it's fortunate that the Western-educated elite didn't write a discriminatory constitution at a time when all other democratic countries had womens' suffrage, too.
          The far more important point, Shiva, is that the uneducated Indian citizenry actually vote women into power, whereas the "educated" people of the West are notorious for being reluctant to do so.

When was the last time the USA voted in a non-Christian, non-white immigrant woman for a President?

As for India not being in Asia - I agree. We're a little continent of our own.

Comment

The far more important point, Shiva, is that the uneducated Indian citizenry actually vote women into power, whereas the "educated" people of the West are notorious for being reluctant to do so.
            That's true; Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, too.

Comment

That's true; Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, too.
              Makes you think, doesn't it?

I've noticed that women in power tend to be either absolutely the most able administrator the place has had for decades, or completely bat**** insane, or both.

Notice Indira Gandhi - she was both (at least with regards to foreign policy - she ruined everything else, thought), though the bat**** insane part dominated. Then we have Jayalalitha - a total egomaniac. OTOH, witness Vasudhara Raje - she completely turned her state around. During the recent caste riots (some community wanted itself classified as Scheduled Castes, so as to gain the benefits of reservations and quotas, and willing to go on a rampage to get this status), she was willing to lean on familial contacts to bring peace to the state. From an economy which was near bankruptcy, she turned a surplus, while still managing to implement the development agenda. Ahilya Bai Holkar is a legendary figure in Indore, for the prosperity she brought to the entire state.

Comment

Leave off the quotes around educated and it makes a lot more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Leave off the quotes around educated and it makes a lot more sense.
                  Education is supposed to create an outlook where you don't look at the gender of the candidates, isn't it? And if it hasn't till now, aren't the quotes justified?

Comment

Women in the West have enough sense not to run for office.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                      Women in the West have enough sense not to run for office.

Comment

Education is supposed to create an outlook where you don't look at the gender of the candidates, isn't it? And if it hasn't till now, aren't the quotes justified?
                        whoosh

Comment

Low blow, Shiva, low blow.

Comment

Working...
                          X