News: Gay hotel can ban straights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aneeshm
    I support the right of gay bars to bar heterosexuals.

I also support the right of normal bars to bar homosexuals.
    Normal?
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
      Nightclubs regularly ban groups of straight men for similar reasons- because they're often *****! Family hotels I'm sure would not get taken to task for refusing to take a booking for "Bumfest 2007" either.

What's the problem again? Oh wait, there isn't one.

It's an interesting notion though: I've always considered heterosexism to be on the same level as racism, but this illustrates to me that there can be cases where heterosexism can be justified... whereas I can think of no condition where banning a particular race could be justified.

Here, where I live the three gay bars we have do not exclude anyone based on sexual orientation.

And while I'm not always positive about such a mixture, I cannot support exclusion.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I can, freedom of association is more important than hurt feelings

Comment

Another brilliant strategy from bleeding heart liberals! Lets give the homophobes yet another reason to persecute homosexuals.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
            I can, freedom of association is more important than hurt feelings

Sometimes, when I have had a particularly bad day, I like to think that when I go to one of the local gay bars here, I can escape, mingle, and relax, forgetting some of the stress of that day.

Well, one night, I was lounging and kicking back with a couple of friends over drinks, and this guy who claimed he was straight (he actually verbally said he was), was half-naked, and was complaining about "These groping ******s are getting on my nerves." I almost got out of my seat to tell him to leave if he doesn't like being half-naked in a gay bar. But he quickly left right after he said that before I could act on my thought.

On the other hand, I have an older, straight brother who has been to my friends' parties with me, and has gone out with me to the local gay bars here a few times. He epitomizes the example of how family members should pratice unconditional acceptance. I enjoy the times when he and I hang out with my friends.

So you see where I get my mixed feelings about gay bars including straight people? But I doubt I will ever come to the point where gay bars should make rules to explicitly exclude anyone based on sexual orientation.

Comment

They aren't asking people to show their Gay Club card at the door, MrFun.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

Normal?
                Yes, normal. As in, definitive of the norm. The norm being where heterosexual people go to meet heterosexual people. Whereas the norm for gay bars would be where homosexuals go to meet homosexuals.

Comment

Norm!!

Comment

What's new Normie?

Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer!
                    -Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

Yes, normal. As in, definitive of the norm. The norm being where heterosexual people go to meet heterosexual people. Whereas the norm for gay bars would be where homosexuals go to meet homosexuals.

Whoa!!! Far out, man!

Comment

Working...
                      X