Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler

I was watching CNN.
    The CNN you guys in America get isn't always the CNN we in the Rest of the World get.

As for the US media...its loud, brash and annoying. Less news, more reality TV show with rolling headlines.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
      As for the US media...its loud, brash and annoying. Less news, more reality TV show with rolling headlines.
      Not so much reality show as commercials.

A U.S. news program leads with something burning or someone bleeding; then there's a lot of stories about new products and/or services we should buy, and it ends with some cute human interest story.

Comment

The US media has a two-party-system bias.
        APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

The CNN you guys in America get isn't always the CNN we in the Rest of the World get.

thats spefically an invention of the all news cable networks, first CNN, then Fox, and MSNBC.

TV news, back when it was a half hour or hour thing in the evening, plus 60 minutes and specials, was NEVER like that. And of course PBS isnt it.

And obviously radio, newpapers, mags were entirely different worlds.

Conclusion - the furriners judge US media purely by the cable networks - understandable in that thats all they see, but youd think such Sowphistycaded Yuropeans would realize what a limited picture theyre getting.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander I IMHO CNN and FOX are the more blatant extremes.
            MSNBC is more left-leaning than CNN.

CNN seems to be more moderate. Its main bias is towards alarmism. Every day there's a new crisis, every segment focuses on what we should fret about next. It's like Kyle's mom from South Park. (Plus the talking heads are insufferably smug. I especially can't stand the morning people: Soledad O'Brien, Miles O'Brien, John Roberts, and Kiran Chetry. John Roberts is especially irritating. I also hate Sanjay Gupta, Ali Velshi, and Anderson Cooper.)

Fox is blatantly biased to the right
            Last edited by Wycoff; May 25, 2007, 15:43.
            I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Re: The US media

Originally posted by Colon™
              ...do they have a right-wing bias or a left-wing bias?
              An NYC/East Coast bias.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

MSNBC is more left-leaning than CNN.

CNN seems to be more moderate. Its main bias is towards alarmism. Every day there's a new crisis, every segment focuses on what we should fret about next. It's like Kyle's mom from South Park. (Plus the talking heads are insufferably smug. I especially can't stand the morning people: Soledad O'Brien, Miles O'Brien, John Roberts, and Kiran Chetry. John Roberts is especially irritating. I also hate Sanjay Gupta, Ali Velshi, and Anderson Cooper.)

Fox is blatantly biased to the right
                That's because you are seeing CNN through a bias towards your own views.

Yes, I believe that Fox is biased towards the right, but I don't think it's blatant. Still, it's more close to my views than CNN so I see it as more moderate than CNN. It's all a matter of perspective...
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal

That's because you are seeing CNN through a bias towards your own views.

Yes, I believe that Fox is biased towards the right, but I don't think it's blatant. Still, it's more close to my views than CNN so I see it as more moderate than CNN. It's all a matter of perspective...
                  I'm actually a right winger, and I still think that Fox is blatantly biased.

CNN is all over the map. You have people ranging from Lou Dobbs to Anderson Cooper. Fox has Alan Combes as a token Democrat, but the rest of their talking heads have basically the same viewpoints and take the same positions.
                  I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff
                    Fox has Alan Combes as a token mindless, spineless Democrat ...
                    Fixed.

Comment

The left or right bias of the media is dependant on your left or right bias.

As a righty, I see the media (in general) as extremely left balanced, and they do so on purpose to get the all important tv rating. I also prefer FOX news because they more frequently spin the news the way I like it spun.

I am fairly certian that a lefty would fell almost the same way, only with the lefty/righty bias being switched and they prefer CNN.
                      absolutely. on the other hand where does bias begin to diverge from the center?
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

It' all more or less right-wing on average.

Comment

I also prefer FOX news because they more frequently spin the news the way I like it spun.
                          You like to be lied to?

Comment

Fox is about as reliable and trustworthy as a GOP campaign ad, the rest of the big media outlets have biases that don't necessarily fit nicely in a right-left spectrum. All American media has an annoying nationalist, isolationist, anti-globalization bias. Also, most of them tend towards alarmism and sensationalism. From a political perspective they act like sharks, once there's blood in the water due to some sort of scandal, the feeding frenzy begins, regardless of who is the hapless victim.
                            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

the real question is without oreily and sometimes hannity when does fox news ever beat every other "liberal" media outlet in ratings?

i think if you look at the way fox news is viewed by most viewers coupled with where most viewers put the station, it makes it seem like fox really is way out there.

where does the majority of the population reside and where do they think their viewership resides in terms of bias?

(if the majority of people get their news from left wing sources are they really that left wing?[I know I know, you could argue theres not that many right wing outlets but then youd be selling yourself short and essentially saying the audience doesnt dictate what producers decide is news worthy] and if they are what does that say about the country as a whole?)
                              Last edited by MRT144; May 25, 2007, 17:53.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

You know, extreme as Fox is, they could at least try to be as amusing as Pravda is
                                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                                X