Germans: What is the FPD party ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElTigre
    A program like that would be political suicide in Germany. Even the FDP, the party of big business and of the "Besserverdienenden" (high-income earners) does not advocate a radical reconstruction of our cherished welfare state. All political parties in Germany still base their economic programs on the social market economy as defined after WW2 - or at least they claim to do so. The German social market economy is so immensely popular that no party dares to shake its foundation.
    That must be from like 20 years ago...

Comment

The FDP throws antisemites out of planes though.
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy

That must be from like 20 years ago...
        23 years, to be precise.

Comment

BeBro

As a matter of fact the party has a history of failed attempts to push it to the right wing. Von Stahl in the early 90s and Möllemann a few years ago failed against the strong left-liberal (Winston ) wing of the party. Möllemann committed suicide after he got ousted from the party for using controversial national-populist methods in a regional election campaign. Figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus
            You forgot the most important thing:

FDP resolves to "fast drei Prozent" - nearly three percent (Germany has a five percent hurdle, except for the Danish party in Schleswig-Holstein). Which comes nearly true every 15 years or so.
            The garbage bin of history is where they belong. We will bury them.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark Germans? Surely you just mean the ones who joined the League of AN as an afterthought, more or less. Actual participation of Germans in the war was mainly on the UK side, though I wouldnt be surprised if you have a cite of something else. Though if you do id be curious to see it.
              Here are a few that I can think of off the top of my head

-10% of the U.S. population at the time of the Revolutionary war was German, and the Germans generally supported the revolution.

-von Steuben was the drill master for the Continental Army, and his introduction of Prussian military procedure was a significant factor in the improvement of the performance of the Continental forces

-the Hessian troops sent to North America were gnerally unwilling conscripts. A significant percentage defected from the British and joined with the American cause

-the French brought some German soldiers from their Rheinland holdings. Soldiers from Zweibrücken (Du Pont) played a significant role in the battle of Yorktown
              I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

-the French brought some German soldiers from their Rheinland holdings. Soldiers from Zweibrücken (Du Pont) played a significant role in the battle of Yorktown
                I didn't know that, interesting. But are you sure about Zweibrücken? It wasn't French before 1801.

BTW, Zweibrücken is Deux-Ponts in French (Two-Bridges in English, Bipontium in Latin, ...).

/nitpick

Oh, and it's not in the Rheinland.

/nitpick^2

Comment

Originally posted by ElTigre

I didn't know that, interesting. But are you sure about Zweibrücken? It wasn't French before 1801.
                  Yeah, I'm sure. That was one of the quirks of the battle of Yorktown was the battle of Redoubt 9 in which French controlled Germans from Zweibrücken fought against British controlled forces from Zweibrücken.

Learn about how German troops from the Deux-Ponts Regiment helped win the Revolutionary War for the Americans.

BTW, Zweibrücken is Deux-Ponts in French (Two-Bridges in English, Bipontium in Latin, ...).
                  I know that. I know very little French, though, and I typed it without looking up how to spell it.

Oh, and it's not in the Rheinland
                  Rheinland, Palatinate, close enough
                  Last edited by Wycoff; May 25, 2007, 14:54.
                  I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Here are a few that I can think of off the top of my head

-10% of the U.S. population at the time of the Revolutionary war was German, and the Germans generally supported the revolution.

-von Steuben was the drill master for the Continental Army, and his introduction of Prussian military procedure was a significant factor in the improvement of the performance of the Continental forces

-the Hessian troops sent to North America were gnerally unwilling conscripts. A significant percentage defected from the British and joined with the American cause

I assumed Molly was referring to state actions, not individuals. Yes plenty of Germans who lived in Penn and elsewhere supported the revolution - but we have another word for what they were "Americans"

Von Steuben, yeah, I guess I did say Lafayette, so Id have to give you this one.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                      Now, why are the Danes so nationalistic? It's like Poles or Belgians, you could think all our victims of once have turned into the offenders of tomorrow
                      First we take Hans Island - then we take Berlin. It's because we are decidedly evil.

Comment

VJ and Winston are indeed the MrFuns of Europe.

Jesus. WTF did Mr. Fun ever do to you?
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Strange, I remember you as being quite a pleasant guy before you took up the stalking bit.

Comment

DT's combination of trolling posts and a smiling Capt. Kirk be jarr and woo

Comment

Working...
                            X