What should I do? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do? Help!

I am supposed to write a work about Egypt in foreign relations in late XVI / early XVII century.
    I have 2-4 full accounts. But I counted the most for a serie of french translations I was supposed to get from another teacher. And I got them and read some of them. But they are incomplete. They miss many important parts. Of course, still it's better than nothing at all, but is it fair to write work basing also on these accounts if I only have parts of them? Should I tell to this guy, who's probably annoyed with me already because I started writing this work so late late late that these sources of mine are incomplete yet I will try to find the missing parts through a friend of mine in Paris (and french Apolytonians ), as well as perhaps during my stay in Damascus (there's a french institute there, hopefully it has stuff which was published by french institute for oriental archeology in Cairo), or should I pretend there's no problem and write a lousy work, but probably get a better grade for it?

Also, should I write about "everyday life in Egypt" or "trade in Egypt" or "Cairo".
    Everyday life - I can fit anything I find really, but it would make a big work. Yet, I have more literature about it. There is a pioneer of itineary studies, prof. Maczak, and I was advised to read his works - and he was writing about everyday life. This would require change of chosen topic.
    Trade in Egypt or economy of it - it's most interesting and the work would be the most useful for other researchers. Yet, in one french translation of a source I miss one specific part - about the trade, exactly. This choice would mean I've spend my time reading it for nothing.
    Cairo - smaller topic than everyday life, but in some sources, I miss parts about it. Also, a bit blury.

I think I'll go with the trade, but that will require talk with the teacher and changing topic.

If there are any french (or not) Apolytoners that can trace this in their libraries:

Voyage en Egypte (or: Voyages en Egypte), published by L'Institut Francais d'Archeologie Orientale du Caire
    (there are many tomes of it, and the authors include Vincent Stochove, Gilles Fermanel, Robert Fauvel, Gabriel Bremond, Le Venitien anonyme, Le Seigneur de Villamont, Le Hollandais Jan Sommer, Antonius Gonzales, Michael Heberer von Bretten etc

For example, I miss chapter IX of Heberer von Bretten. It's only 3 pages...
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

You should post this to five other threads within five minutes or else the ghost of Ra will haunt your eyelids every time you try to sleep.

Edit: On a serious note, I'd say go with everyday life, but only because the topic sounds more interesting. You're in a sticky situation no matter what so you might as well have fun with it.
    Last edited by bipolarbear; May 22, 2007, 20:11.
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

You know what has to be done, and you come here.
      Heresson, your time management and logical thinking skills need some fine tuning.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        Heresson, your time management and logical thinking skills need some fine tuning.

Slowwhand knows what is best....listen carefully
        Attached Files
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          But maybe Spiffor, Oncle Boris, DAVOUT, or Drake can find his missing chapters.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

But maybe Spiffor, Oncle Boris, DAVOUT, or Drake can find his missing chapters.
            So you're advising Heresson to trust his future to that crowd?
            Ok.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

You know how it is with Heresson and frogs
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Gotcha.

Comment

Can you fit trade with foreign relations angle?

In the early days foreign relations were much more about trade than anything I guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X