No announcement yet.

The Last Temptation of Al Gore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my opinion, neither can get elected. Both of them will easily win the traditional democratic battlegrounds. The real question is, can either of them win in any of the states needed to swing the election.

Probably not.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      Obama just reminds me a lot of Dean. Lots of flash in the pan but not really likely to start a fire which can go the distance.
      I dunno. I saw him on This Week about a week and a half ago. Stephanopolus was not too gentle with his questions (remember, he's a former Clintonian), but Obama handled those hard questions extremely well. Very smart, very articulate, very even tempered, well thought-out positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
        In my opinion, neither can get elected. Both of them will easily win the traditional democratic battlegrounds. The real question is, can either of them win in any of the states needed to swing the election.

Probably not.
        word.
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Arent there some states which are close to being half republican half democrat? arizona I think?
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Probably not.
            You think that Guiliani is more likely?

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
              Arent there some states which are close to being half republican half democrat? arizona I think?
              Several. They're called battle ground states because the others have been rigged to insure one side wins. America isn't as democratic as is popularly said.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Probably not.
                They don't have to "get elected." The have to beat the GOP candidate. Given how flawed and dreary that field looks, anything is possible in 2008.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Actually, just to expand on that: as polarizing as Hilary is, and as much of neophyte as Obama is, they are still entiring teh first election in over 30 years where the country seems to have turned against the GOP as a whole. This gives even the most problematic Dem a huge advantage. On top of that, the GOP may well implode over immigration, and could see part of its base (the evangelicals) sit this one out.

Hillary, Obama, even Edwards would have near-insurmountable probalems in a normal political season. But this ain't a normal political season.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

So we get to settle for bad candidates again just because they don't have credible opposition?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      So we get to settle for bad candidates again just because they don't have credible opposition?
                      Yep. And stand in line to whine about that one; I've been voting longer than you've been alive, and I've yet to actually support a presidential candidate I voted for in the general election.

Comment

I am wondering why we have no good candidates?

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I imagine it's the system. Party insiders always end up with the nominations and party insiders rarely are the best people just the best connected with the people who decide things in the party.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't really see the problem with the candidates this time around.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I am wondering why we have no good candidates?
                              I've yet to actually support a presidential candidate I voted for in the general election

Comment

I think the GOP actually has good candidates -- it's just that the party itself has become so extreme and ideologically rigid that the candidates are compelled to fit themselves quite uncomfortably into a mold; it doesn't work, and it diminishes what they do bring to the table.

The Dems are in a slightly different position, in that their "second stringers" -- Richardson, Dodd, Vilsack when he was still running -- would make better presidents than their frontrunners; at an earlier moment in party history, they would be running while Obama would be told to wait his turn and Edwards would be told he was yesterday's news (there's no precedent for Hillary, so I won't stretch the analogy).

Edit: Hey! I just became a King!

Comment

Working...
                                X