Where to live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

so Toronto is cosmopolitan cause it has BOTH South Asians AND East Asians? Wow.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• lovely, but i was responding to KH
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

so Toronto is cosmopolitan cause it has BOTH South Asians AND East Asians? Wow.
        I didn't say that.

Toronto is diverse because it has more South Asians, East Asians, Europeans of all stripes, Arabs and North Africans, and sub-Saharan Africans.

There is some diversity inside each group, of course. My point is that you should take into consideration the fact that there is more difference between the populations of Hong Kong and Bangalore than there is between the populations of Ciudad Juarez and Managua

But you can continue to play blind man if you want.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

I didn't say that.

Toronto is diverse because it has more South Asians, East Asians, Europeans of all stripes, Arabs and North Africans, and sub-Saharan Africans.

There is some diversity inside each group, of course. My point is that you should take into consideration the fact that there is more difference between the populations of Hong Kong and Bangalore than there is between the populations of Ciudad Juarez and Managua

But you can continue to play blind man if you want.

Like the man said, the total non Lat Am immigrant population in LA is as big as in Toronto, which means LA probably has many interesting little subculture thingies as Toronto has. I know for a fact that it has interesting communities of Sephardic and Persian ETHNIC GROUP THAT MAY NOT BE NAMED, such as a found perhaps nowhere outside COUNTRY THAT MAY NOT BE NAMED. Someone mentioned the Armenian community, (yeah I know Toronto has that too) and there are many others. Proportion is very interesting statistically, but I dont think it really leads to more varieties of different human experience available to explore. If someone is looking for that, they will find it as surely in LA as in Toronto, if not more so. If what they want is to walk down the street and know that a smaller percentage of the folks they walk among are native members of the countrys dominant group, and that the ones who are not members of that group are on average from more distinctive origins, then go for Toronto by all means.

I cant for the life of me think why that would be important to anyone, though.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• which means LA probably has many interesting little subculture thingies as Toronto has.

I disagree with this statement. When you have to spread it on a physical area 2.5 times bigger and a native population 3 times bigger it tends to get a little diluted.

By the way, I know that you're all pissy right now, but do you really have to force me into a situation where I'm defending Toronto?
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

which means LA probably has many interesting little subculture thingies as Toronto has.

I disagree with this statement. When you have to spread it on a physical area 2.5 times bigger and a native population 3 times biger it tends to get a little diluted.
              immigrants and other cultural minorities tend to live near each other. Those who dont are less likely to be preserving the little subculture thingies.

I bet (and dont make me look it up) Jacksonville Fl has a much larger black population, proportionally, than Greater New York. Im quite sure you can find lots more obscure black sub cultures in New York than you can in Jacksonville, and not only cause Jax is more conservative, but because maintaining a subculture involves certain economies of scale.

Comment

which means LA probably has many interesting little subculture thingies as Toronto has.

I disagree with this statement. When you have to spread it on a physical area 2.5 times bigger and a native population 3 times bigger it tends to get a little diluted.

By the way, I know that you're all pissy right now, but do you really have to force me into a situation where I'm defending Toronto?
                since we cant seem to maneuver you into defending Charm City, that will have to do.

Comment

• I like Baltimore more than I like DC...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by LordShiva
                    "South Asians" aren't Asian
                    How should the Asian nomenclature work, in your view?

Comment

• If "South Asians" means "Indians" they are not Asians,actually.

But, just to balance, "Latin Americans" are mostly Asians.

And, in the struggle between LA and Toronto, I like both, but vote

Toronto.

Best regards,

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus

How should the Asian nomenclature work, in your view?
                        The continent sealed off from Asia by the Himalayas, Hindu Kush, and Karakorum isn't part of Asia.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• As someone with subcontinental parents (one born in India... even after partition it would have been India.. and one in Pakistan), I ALWAYS have called myself Asian. Indians are Asian.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Indians are actually descended from aboriginal Australians.

Comment

• You grew up in the US, and have been corrupted by its silly definitions
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X