No announcement yet.

Immigration compromise struck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inasmuch as the infrastructure supporting breaking the law for illegal immigration can be discouraged, it makes it tougher for AQ, et al. to repurpose the infrastructure for its own ends.

I don't see how the "infrastructure supporting breaking the law for illegal immigration" is going to be substantively affected by this. There will be some token efforts at enforcing the border, the illegals already in America will get amnesty and then the cycle will begin again, ending with another amnesty in a couple decades.

How bad did it hurt the GOP when Reagan did it?

I don't know. It would seem to affect the GOP on a state/congressional level more than the presidential one and I'm not really educated enough on American state politics in the 80's to speak intelligently on the issue.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Surprisingly, Lou Dobbs was against this bill.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I hope that was sarcasm.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I would never use sarcasm on Apolyton
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            I don't see how the "infrastructure supporting breaking the law for illegal immigration" is going to be substantively affected by this. There will be some token efforts at enforcing the border, the illegals already in America will get amnesty and then the cycle will begin again, ending with another amnesty in a couple decades.
            I'm thinking along the lines of the fake identity industry -- which as I understand is huge and continuously fed by illegals paying for documents. At a minimum, taking away the need for the fake documents would help for a while. The benefit would be real, even if not permanent.

I don't know. It would seem to effect the GOP on a state/congressional level more than the presidential one and I'm not really educated enough on American state politics in the 80's to speak intelligently on the issue.
            Well, when was the amnesty?
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I would never use sarcasm on Apolyton

Me neither.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm thinking along the lines of the fake identity industry -- which as I understand is huge and continuously fed by illegals paying for documents. At a minimum, taking away the need for the fake documents would help for a while.

There's going to be more illegals. They know that if they get in America and wait long enough, they'll eventually get citizenship.

Well, when was the amnesty?

1986, IIRC.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Indeed, there is the moral hazard. But it's not as if the hazard had not already been well established.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I don't understand why Americans are so ****ing xenophobic about a bunch of hardworking Mexicans wanting to move to the US...
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I never found Americans to be very xenophobic. The illegal nature of the immigration seems to be what pisses them off.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

1986, IIRC.
                        OK. In '88, the GOP lost one seat in the Senate and 2 seats in the House. Hardly a rebuke, I think you'll have to admit.

Comment

How many seats did they have to begin with? Wasn't '88 shortly after the heyday of Tip O'Neill's Democrats?
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I never found Americans to be very xenophobic. The illegal nature of the immigration seems to be what pisses them off.
                            Then maybe you should raise your legal immigration levels.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Everything up to '94 was all Dem, at least in the House.

Comment

Then maybe you should raise your legal immigration levels.

I think we should. We should also try to ensure that our legal immigrants are ethnically diverse. The Americans should do the same.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X