X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish national champion, female, 10-12 yrs, 1500m, 18:11

Manitoba local swim team with 12 year old girls in 19:20 for 1500m

etc. etc.

Maybe your triathletes are taking it easy for pacing, or maybe the swim is a lot rougher in the open (no kicks off the side every length), or maybe they're a bunch of geriatrics...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Kicking off the side would probably make a huge difference.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Quite possibly. I don't know. I've never attempted to do a timed swim in open water.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          Kicking off the side would probably make a huge difference.
          Indeed. I used to swim competitively, and would see a difference of 1-2 seconds, on average, in my 50m times, when swimming a 25m pool vs. a 50m one.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

LS, could you please tell Flubber that a 24 minute 1.6 k is nothing to go ape**** about?

There were ****ing 60 year-olds in the pool outpacing me when I was swimming...
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Flubber, a 24 minute 1.6k is nothing to go ape**** about.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

thank you
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

anytime

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    LS, could you please tell Flubber that a 24 minute 1.6 k is nothing to go ape**** about?

There were ****ing 60 year-olds in the pool outpacing me when I was swimming...
                    I know that its nothing to go ape about . I already quoted the 17 minute range 1500 times of the elite. BUt that makes the point

But its freaking misleading to say you are a "decent" swimmer if you can do a 24:00 minute 1600 when you haven't swum in 5 years and use that as evidence that you need to concentrate on the bike.

I cited 3 "normal people" triathlons to make the point that your pace would already be competitive. Pick any other geographic area and look at the results and you will see that a 22:30 1500 is very competitive among the masses. From your response I see that you have chosen point 2 of my possible responses for you .

Korn wanted some help preparing for a tri. To blithely assume that he can just jump in a swim at a pace 30% off the elite level is pretty asinine IMHO, particularly given that he seems to downplay his swim ability.

AS for you Krazy-- If you swim at that level, the swim is not a problem for you. But I can tell you that it is the primary issue for 90% of the people attempting a tri
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Now, when I was younger (12 and below) I swam competitively at a local level for a little while. I still have pretty good form. What I don't have is the physique to drop 30% off my swim time (despite lifting regularly).
                      Ahh-- I suspected as much-- Your age isn't as much a factor as the fact that if you were swimming competitively you would have learned very good form. That knowledge sticks with you .
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Indeed. I used to swim competitively, and would see a difference of 1-2 seconds, on average, in my 50m times, when swimming a 25m pool vs. a 50m one.
                        So on 60 lengths at 2 seconds, we are talking two minutes difference max over 1500 m. Thats why I said that he would still be clearly top half ( even if you add another 90 seconds to his time to "transition")

Comment

nm
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Actually, I chose a combination of point 2 and point 4

point 4 is that a 22:30 1500 free is not particularly impressive. I think that trying to compare triathlon times to lap swimming is difficult but also that those local tris are not necessarily examples of elite swimming.

It stands to reason, as the shortest time (by far) is spent in the water out of all 3 events. As far as I can tell, most of the race is won or lost in the bike ride (just from having watched a couple of them on TV).
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If you want to claim shenanigans, by the way, you should do so on my 18:07 5k (though that was after 8-10 months of serious training). That's a ****ing strong 5k for a total amateur (I even ran it wearing cross-trainers).
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If you want to claim shenanigans, by the way, you should do so on my 18:07 5k (though that was after 8-10 months of serious training). That's a ****ing strong 5k for a total amateur (I even ran it wearing cross-trainers).
                                I don't care to but it just goes to show that you are an experienced runner and swimmer and pretty good at both. Your dislike of the bike comes from less experience. Its no harder.

Comment

Working...
                                X