No announcement yet.

Elitism against people who smoke/drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elitism against people who smoke/drink?

Sometimes I ask myself what happened to people. Teenagers are supposed to be crazy and stupid, doing things like experimenting with drugs and sex. I know this is a pointless and funny cliche, but it's true. I've smoked some weed, and I party on the weekends where people drink.

And thus I never really fit into the whole "I'm an upper bound student, blah blah". I was in pretty much all the AP and honors classes and managed to make it to UCLA because of my crazy Asian parents... but really, all of my friends are essentially in the 'regular' classes and are going to state schools.

Why? The "AP" kids look down on me. It's obvious that I drink and party, and they hate me for it. The Asians say that I'm not acting Asain.. *** is that supposed to mean? The other people say I'm wasting my life... I'm not, I'm having fun, I'm actually enjoying life instead of sitting at home on the weekends playing video games or studying for the SATs or something.

The new college generation that I see has come off as some socially-repressive elitist bunch. In my school, about 25 people got into UCLA. How many of them, besides me, admit that they like to drink and party? 1 other. An under represented minority, too.

What happened to having fun? Enjoying life? I'm not saying you have to do drugs or drink or party to enjoy life, but you know what I mean. Life's more than sitting at home studying or playing video games.

Here are some of the things I've heard:

"I will never drink or smoke, only complete idiots do that."
    "Jade doesn't deserve to go to UCLA, she's a druggie."
    "I want a 2 room dorm because I don't want to run the risk of getting more than 1 dumbass in my room."
    "I only want to room with people from my school just to be safe."
    "People who party never get any work done, so I'm not going to party at all."
    "I'm not going to get a girlfriend in college because it will be a distraction."
    "I want to be on a single-sex dorm so I don't get distracted."

This is the general consensus of the people at my school.. I don't know what it's like at your school, but this kind of scares me. Is there no love with people that want to pursue an 'alternate' lifestyle... aka not being a nerd?

PS: What's with the whole "I can't live with someone who smokes or drinks. I don't want people coming back to their dorm drunk/high?"? I don't get it... how does it affect you at all?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

WTFp?
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I really don't understand the previous two posts.

Comment

Re: Elitism against people who smoke/drink?

Originally posted by Jadeli
          Sometimes I ask myself what happened to people. Teenagers are supposed to be crazy and stupid, doing things like experimenting with drugs and sex. I know this is a pointless and funny cliche, but it's true. I've smoked some weed, and I party on the weekends where people drink.

And thus I never really fit into the whole "I'm an upper bound student, blah blah". I was in pretty much all the AP and honors classes and managed to make it to UCLA because of my crazy Asian parents... but really, all of my friends are essentially in the 'regular' classes and are going to state schools.

Why? The "AP" kids look down on me. It's obvious that I drink and party, and they hate me for it. The Asians say that I'm not acting Asain.. *** is that supposed to mean? The other people say I'm wasting my life... I'm not, I'm having fun, I'm actually enjoying life instead of sitting at home on the weekends playing video games or studying for the SATs or something.

The new college generation that I see has come off as some socially-repressive elitist bunch. In my school, about 25 people got into UCLA. How many of them, besides me, admit that they like to drink and party? 1 other. An under represented minority, too.

What happened to having fun? Enjoying life? I'm not saying you have to do drugs or drink or party to enjoy life, but you know what I mean. Life's more than sitting at home studying or playing video games.

Here are some of the things I've heard:

"I will never drink or smoke, only complete idiots do that."
          "Jade doesn't deserve to go to UCLA, she's a druggie."
          "I want a 2 room dorm because I don't want to run the risk of getting more than 1 dumbass in my room."
          "I only want to room with people from my school just to be safe."
          "People who party never get any work done, so I'm not going to party at all."
          "I'm not going to get a girlfriend in college because it will be a distraction."
          "I want to be on a single-sex dorm so I don't get distracted."

This is the general consensus of the people at my school.. I don't know what it's like at your school, but this kind of scares me. Is there no love with people that want to pursue an 'alternate' lifestyle... aka not being a nerd?

PS: What's with the whole "I can't live with someone who smokes or drinks. I don't want people coming back to their dorm drunk/high?"? I don't get it... how does it affect you at all?
          Let me make this absolutely clear.

You have a May 2007 registration date. I don't know who you are, so I don't give a **** about you or your problems. Neither does anybody else here. You and your insipid little stories about being a "rebel" in some tight-ass white-bread upper-class exurb make me sick. I hope somebody slips some PCP into a joint you smoke at one of the ****ty parties you attend, and it kicks one of your dormant psychoses into effect. With any luck you'll wind up buck naked at the top of a water tower with a half-inserted string of anal beads hanging from your starfish and a splotch of dried semen gluing your left eyelid shut.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Drunks are violent, they smell, they break things, they're noisy and they puke on things.

Smokers smell horrible because they have poison on them, ****ing up everyone's body near them.

Weed makes you passive and stupid.

socially-repressive elitist bunch
            Yeah imagine that, people doing what they want to do instead of conforming to idiotic, expensive and unhealthy traditions.

In short, suck it you hippie perv.

Comment

Oh, and welcome to Apolyton.

Comment

Registered today. This is initial post. As I said,

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think it is great people are looking down on smokers. Society can only benefit from the total eradication of smoking.
                  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Bull****. Smoking makes you look cool and older.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH pretty much said it. And I will add, you will fine that most people in college party pretty hard. I Think even in schools like UCLA.

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

Drunks are violent, they smell, they break things, they're noisy and they puke on things.

Smokers smell horrible because they have poison on them, ****ing up everyone's body near them.

Weed makes you passive and stupid.

Yeah imagine that, people doing what they want to do instead of conforming to idiotic, expensive and unhealthy traditions.

In short, suck it you hippie perv.
                        More like conforming to what your parents told you to be a good boy.

What are you, a 40 year old virgin?

Comment

Bull****. Smoking makes you look cool and older.

I thought our society was infatuated with eternal youth?

Dammit, I just can't keep up.
                          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Oh boy, what a fool you're making out of yourself

You know, hate-filled (or desperate) ad hominems morph into delicious parodies when they miss their marks by more than a thousand miles. For example, I'm still giggling at how Doddler tried to suggest how I was drunk immediately after I pointed out that he had misunderstood graphs in a thread about global warming. He carried on the same "lol you're on the sauce again" routine for 4 or 5 posts. Of course, he never realized that I'm an absolutist when it comes to alcohol. Smart man

Originally posted by Jadeli
                            More like conforming to what your parents told you to be a good boy.
                            When I was growing up, I only had one parent looking after me. She was too busy chasing men in bars to give me any "don't drink any hard drinks because you'll be a mommy's boy if you drink some lemon juice instead"-bull****. Which is probably exactly why I'm the one of us who doesn't need to rebel against my parents by poisoning my body with expensive **** which gives no pleasure, but is poisonous enough to make your feel like you've been drinking **** when you wake up next morning.

What are you, a 40 year old virgin?
                            I'm engaged and my birth year is visible on my profile page.

Comment

I will add in agreement. Drunks can be idiots.

For several years I lived with my frenids. I drank and they did.. and there were many nights we would be screwing around until 3-4 am. We had one frenid for the first year who was more serious than us, and rarely drank. That freindship becamed strained (not from me, but from some of the rest of the household). Even me, who was often one of the drunkest/etc, would have nights where I stayed sober to try and get something done the next day... and I found my freinds/housemates very annoying.

And I pretty much never tried to be a drunk ******* (like some of my housemates have), but even if you are trying to be quiet, you are really being loud. And some things that are really bad/stupid ideas seem like good ones (like spraying dishsoap all over the dirty kitchen... I never could get that out of the ceiling).

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X