• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republicans: Please Raise Your Hand If You Do Not Believe In Evolution

awsome...
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

So? They are politicians, not scientists. The one thing that has gotten me is the ignorance of the general population, both creationists and evolutionists.

This might not be true in other countries, but seems to be true in the US.

If you have the option of believing what some scientist you don't know tells you, or what your freind the pastor tells you, which are you going to beleive?

It is only those who have more knowledge in the field, and know some of the evidence, where the issue goes beyond "who do you beleive?".

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

No aggressors
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        So? They are politicians, not scientists.
        politicians are supposed to the lead the people and speak the truth, not go along with the ignorance...

If you have the option of believing what some scientist you don't know tells you, or what your freind the pastor tells you, which are you going to beleive?
        so you have to know and trust a scientist in order to form an opinion on scientific fact?

here are some hints: reading, using logic, research, libraries!!

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
          No aggressors
          it was too long to write "Republican Candidates for Presidential Aggressor"

Comment

Only 3 out of 10 don't believe in evolution? TBH, I thought it would be worse.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

People couldn't justify 90% of their beliefs by themselves, even if they wanted to. You have to rely up to certain point on what the experts agree on.

Most people here believe that the Earth turns around the Sun, but they couldn't even begin to justify it if we asked them. But that doesn't mean that their belief isn't rationally justified. There are good arguments from autority and there are bad ones.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I kind of want to know who the 3 out of 10 are.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG

so you have to know and trust a scientist in order to form an opinion on scientific fact?

here are some hints: reading, using logic, research, libraries!!
                  If you talk to people in America, you will find out that people haven't done the research/etc. Basically because they don't really care to.

So yes, for a lot of people in America, it is just a trust issue.

And if the people don't care to, why should the politicians?

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    If you talk to people in America, you will find out that people haven't done the research/etc. Basically because they don't really care to.
                    Basically because it would challenge their beliefs and they have been indoctrinated into thinking that that is an evil thoughtcrime. There is something of a difference.
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Only 3 out of 10 don't believe in evolution? TBH, I thought it would be worse.
                      3 dared to raise their hand
                      if you notice, they all sort-of waited to see who would actually do it

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi

Basically because it would challenge their beliefs and they have been indoctrinated into thinking that that is an evil thoughtcrime. There is something of a difference.
                        Err, based off my experience in physics (and even with the bit of chemistry I know) that isn't really the case. They just don't care to know about science.

Why should they do research in evolution when they don't do research into everything else? I question whether some of them even value the assumptions underlying scientific theory.

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

There is really this communication gap, I think. With each side looking down on the other as somehow being less...

As long as this is the case, we will see this dislike and distrust that is so manifest.

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

May a moderate independent raise his hand?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This isn't a question of research though. People are being actively told through primary education and (most) mass media that evolution is a valid scientific theory. That is being offset by their being told that it is not by their churches. There's no research necessary...they are choosing not to believe the research done by others and presented to them (and it is presented to every one of them at some point) because they have been told it isn't true by people who they have chosen to trust on matters outside their expertise.
                              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Working...
                              X