Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Queen is dead. Long live the Republic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unitarian not in the religious but the political sense. As opposed to the federal structure of the UK as a whole now.

Unitarian in that sense is something like centralized, just different. France is unitarian.

Comment

It appears it's called "unitary" when applies in politics. Obviously even the UK counts as unitary but I doubt that would continue to be so in case of Republicanism. It'd rather turn into a Spain-like structure (which already is federal).

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
        House of Godwin
        to that!
        It's time to end this 1000-year reign of terror! Boot out these Norman-descended usurpers. Once the heirs of Willie the Conk are off the throne, we can get someone who's descended from Harold Godwineson to reign as the true king.

The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
        "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Harold Godwinson. Is that the husband of Miriam?
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Blech.

Well Alex it's now your task to find out who the current heir of the Godwin house would be. Can't be too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander I

It's time to end this 1000-year reign of terror! Boot out these Norman-descended usurpers. Once the heirs of Willie the Conk are off the throne, we can get someone who's descended from Harold Godwineson to reign as the true king.
              heirs of Willie the Conk? I thought the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas were Krauts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

heirs of Willie the Conk? I thought the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas were Krauts.
                Yep, though it doesn't mean there isn't an obscure and direct linear descent. If there wasn't, they'd have no claim to the throne.
                The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney

current events not your strong point?
                  Not at all.

The Conservatives will not disclose the identity of wealthy supporters who lent the party large sums of money, the party's treasurer has insisted.

Jonathan Marland spoke out after Labour published a list of backers who secretly lent the party almost £14m.

"I am not prepared under any circumstances to disclose where the loans come from," he told BBC2's Newsnight programme.
                  BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

to help with your education.
                  I shouldn't strain yourself- it would only be surplus to requirements.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

i seem to remember that newsnight episode and paxman making him squirm, twas good.

all the main parties use loans for large contributions, rather than donations, as a way to avoid declaring who their backers are. labour brought in the last piece of legislation on party funding in the year 2000, which says that donations must be declared, but loans 'on commercial terms' were exempt. this was an attempt to bring transparency to party funding in the wake of various tory scandals in the 90s and the bernie ecclestone affair, among other things.

it's hardly surprising therefore that every party (but especially the main two) exploits this loophole. however only one party does to such an extent, that they have been investigated for not declaring loans not made under commercial terms. more seriously for selling honours, by offering peerages for these loans, or sponsorship of government flagship projects, such as city academies, and also for lying to the police in the course of their investigations into these alleged offences. the papers talk about as many as 5 people, very close to the prime minister, facing charges. it's pretty serious stuff and it absolutely stinks.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                      Lords
                      QFT
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

I think after the Glorious Revolution, Great Britain had much the better deal.
                        yeah, amazingly enough being an island nation, making possible a small standing army, and a large scale emphasis on trade rather than agriculture, making the bourgeois (and the state in general) relatively strong compared to the aristocracy, actually gave GB a more peaceful transition to modern democracy than France's.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Your trolling needs a lot of work.
                          Pardon.

"Subservient she began, subservient she remains"

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                            yeah, amazingly enough being an island nation, making possible a small standing army, and a large scale emphasis on trade rather than agriculture, making the bourgeois (and the state in general) relatively strong compared to the aristocracy, actually gave GB a more peaceful transition to modern democracy than France's.

You mean before the 19th century when nobody had standing armies except when they were at war, but then they were almost always at war??
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Pardon.

"Subservient she began, subservient she remains"
                              Nope. Still not very good.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X