Off to Mongolia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to Mongolia

Gah! I'm flying to Moscow tomorrow morning. On Monday I'm getting on the Trans-Mongolia Express. I'll stop off in Irkutsk before traveling around Mongolia for a month. I'll spend a few days in Beijing (mid-June by then) before flying home after that.

Any Apolytoners in Mongolia (or Moscow, Irkutsk or Beijing)?

I'll see if I can post some updates and photos along the way...
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Serb
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Where is he?
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Siberia
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Irkutsk
          Risk

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Hey, I plan to do a similar trip this autumn! Give me more info. How much will the trip cost you? Was getting visas a problem? Are you going it alone or on an organized tour?

Comment

Goddamn Mongorians! Arways break down my sheety wall!

Comment

I think Serb was in Omsk.
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  Hey, I plan to do a similar trip this autumn! Give me more info. How much will the trip cost you? Was getting visas a problem? Are you going it alone or on an organized tour?
                  I arranged the flights, train, visas and stays in Moscow, Irkutsk and Beijing through a travel agency. It's a slightly adjusted version of a base package they offered. I'm arranging the stuff in Mongolia myself.

I have read up on stuff (e.g. Lonely Planet's Mongolia and Trans-Siberia Express guides), for a possible next time as well... The Russian visa is hardest to get, apparently, because you need an invitation and it's valid only for the exact time you're staying. The train ticket is also only valid for the specific date, so if you're planning on some stop-overs you'd need separate tickets as well... But I didn't have to worry about any of that.

I think the total cost will be around €6000. That includes everything, including most of my equipment, vaccinations (!) and the money I expect to spend.

And that's also counting on the fact that Mongolia will be rather expensive because I'm going alone. Paying for things like drivers or guides for tours there will cost me if I don't find anyone to share the costs with.

Comment

Thanks for the info. €6000 is what I make in a year so I'll be looking for a cheaper trip
                    I'd appreciate if you keep us posted with pictures and anecdotes, if it's not too much of a hassle, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                      Where is he?
                      Novasibersk last I heard.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
                        I think Serb was in Omsk.
                        Indeed.

Good luck, Mercator! I know You've been planning that trip for a long time now, so I hope it will fulfill your expectations~!
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

I'm heading off to Sacramento on Saturday. Is anyone excited about that?!

I thought not. Darn globetrotting Polytubbies. I'll keep quiet now.

Comment

Oerdin use to live in Sacramento... I lived in Davis for 8 years... Old Sac is fun, go to the comedy club there.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

I don't recall ever seeing a comedy club in Old Town.

D'ya remember where it is (apprx)?

Comment

Working...
                              X