"as a reward for stealing Year Zero..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    Can you please condense all of your masturbatory threads to PMs to yourself, or at least one thread?
    so long as we are being civil, could you please kindly not troll my threads? i try to maintain a respectable distance, and i hope you can try to do the same.

Originally posted by Dis
    I didn't care for the fragile very much.

Can this album compare to Donward spiral?

Pretty much their best album. Further downward spiral was a good remix though.
    the fragile was sprawling and organic. some people didn't get the use of leitmotif; they just thought he had run out of ideas and was recycling.

my own opinon of year zero is jaded by the fact that i've gone and seen much of the extra material. i suppose you could say that there has been much clarity and driving purpose in the new album as compared to the downward spiral. Trent has been sober for a few years now, and it appears to be having a positive effect.

it depends on how you want to look at things: just what attracted you to pretty hate machine in the first place? was it the synth sounds? or the use of drum machines, sequencers and processors? Year Zero is quoted as drawing inspiration for old public enemy records in their use of layered sound, noise and what have you.

Originally posted by nostromo
    The reviews I read claim that its on the same level as Pretty hate machine and Downward spiral. But I saw the "Survivalism" video (nice video clip, btw) and, IMO, it sounds a lot like what they did in the nineties.
    it certainly harkens back to some of the older days. the intensity is only nearly matched by PHM and Broken. where Year Zero wins by leaps and bounds is all the supplemental content. the fact that many of these sites were decoded from t-shirts, usb drives left at concerts, and a curious white line pattern in the album booklet.

all the websites thus far have an index at this site.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

this is at least fun for the listener
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Something else may be going on. My understanding is the band has done some very original marketing with this cd and this may be part of it.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by self biased

so long as we are being civil, could you please kindly not troll my threads? i try to maintain a respectable distance, and i hope you can try to do the same.

the fragile was sprawling and organic. some people didn't get the use of leitmotif; they just thought he had run out of ideas and was recycling.

my own opinon of year zero is jaded by the fact that i've gone and seen much of the extra material. i suppose you could say that there has been much clarity and driving purpose in the new album as compared to the downward spiral. Trent has been sober for a few years now, and it appears to be having a positive effect.

it depends on how you want to look at things: just what attracted you to pretty hate machine in the first place? was it the synth sounds? or the use of drum machines, sequencers and processors? Year Zero is quoted as drawing inspiration for old public enemy records in their use of layered sound, noise and what have you.

it certainly harkens back to some of the older days. the intensity is only nearly matched by PHM and Broken. where Year Zero wins by leaps and bounds is all the supplemental content. the fact that many of these sites were decoded from t-shirts, usb drives left at concerts, and a curious white line pattern in the album booklet.

all the websites thus far have an index at this site.
          I'm not really into the synth sound that much. It's really the guitar sound I like. Broken is what got me into NIN. But I do like Pretty Hate Machine. Even though there are no guitars, there's a certain heaviness to it. Esp. head like a hole. I like fixed as well, and the 3 remixes of downward spiral. Actually 2 were singles with remixes on them. March of the Pigs and Closer. And then further downward spiral. They had some good sound.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Something else may be going on. My understanding is the band has done some very original marketing with this cd and this may be part of it.
            apparently, this isn't wholly marketing. i'll find the quote later, but these sites, clues, etc, are a part of the whole experience.

I'm not really into the synth sound that much. It's really the guitar sound I like. Broken is what got me into NIN. But I do like Pretty Hate Machine. Even though there are no guitars, there's a certain heaviness to it. Esp. head like a hole. I like fixed as well, and the 3 remixes of downward spiral. Actually 2 were singles with remixes on them. March of the Pigs and Closer. And then further downward spiral. They had some good sound.
            go check out the myspace page. last i knew it had some tracks on it.

Comment

I lost track of NIN after my brother moved out of the house way back when. Then there was that teaser ad a year or so ago, featuring some song entitled "the hand that feeds." A minute-long generic music video clip of them spazzing around and jerking off their guitars. It's like ten years later and they still look and sound like the Tasmanian Devil with a guitar.

Oh, and it seems they're still attacking the Christian faith, which I suppose should make me angry but they're just too crap. Lately I hear they've moved on to attacking Bush. Maybe someday they'll insult something that half the musical world hasn't already been rude to. Better yet, they could switch Looney Tunes characters to impersonate. Foghorn Leghorn, Marvin the Martian, or even Sylvester could prove quite amusing.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

self, a lot of tracks were "hidden" around the net in order to peak interest in the cd. NIN placed clues to let people find certain tracks, information, pics, etc for the past several months. There was just an NPR business report on it early last week.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  self, a lot of tracks were "hidden" around the net in order to peak interest in the cd. NIN placed clues to let people find certain tracks, information, pics, etc for the past several months. There was just an NPR business report on it early last week.
                  i know this. four tracks were placed in restrooms and/or handed to known fan club members. i'm not saying there wasn't promotion and marketing for the album, i'm just saying that the websites aren't intended to be a gimmick to get people to buy records.

Comment

Working...
                  X