• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean of Admissions Lied on Resume

April 26, 2007
    Dean of Admissions at M.I.T. Resigns
    By TAMAR LEWIN
    Marilee Jones, the dean of admissions at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, became famous for urging stressed-out students competing for elite colleges to calm down and stop trying to be perfect. But today she admitted that she had fabricated her own academic educational credentials, and resigned after nearly three decades at the university.

"I misrepresented my academic degrees when I first applied to M.I.T. 28 years ago and did not have the courage to correct my résumé when I applied for my current job or at any time since,” Ms. Jones said in a statement posted on the university’s Web site today. "I am deeply sorry for this and for disappointing so many in the M.I.T. community and beyond who supported me, believed in me and who have given me extraordinary opportunities.

Ms. Jones on various occasions had represented herself as having degrees from Albany Medical College, Union College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, but she had no degrees from any of those places, said Phillip L. Clay, the chancellor of M.I.T.

Ms. Jones had recently been promoting a book, “Less Stress, More Success: A New Approach to Guiding Your Teen Through College Admissions and Beyond,” co-written with Dr. Kenneth R. Ginsburg. It had made her the guru of the movement to tame the college-admissions frenzy.

The pressure to be perfect was a theme of the book: “The most worrisome thing about this generation of driven students may be the fear of imperfection that’s being instilled in their psyches,” said part of the chapter on “The Problem with Perfectionism.” “This fear will stifle their creativity, impede their ability to experience joy, and ultimately interfere with their success.”

In Ms. Jones’s own case, Mr. Clay said, there was no requirement for a college degree in her first entry-level job in the admissions office. And by the time she was appointed admissions dean in 1997, he said, she had already been assistant dean and associate dean, so there was apparently little effort to check her earlier credentials.

At M.I.T., where Ms. Jones has been widely admired, almost revered, for her humor, outspokenness and common sense, faculty and students alike appeared saddened, and shocked.

“It was surprising,” said Mike Hurley, a freshman chemistry student. “Everyone who was admitted here probably knows her, at least her name.” Mr. Hurley added that the admissions office was unusually accessible, with Ms. Jones’s “bright” personality and blogs for incoming students. “Whenever someone’s integrity is questioned, it sets a bad example,” he said, “but I feel like the students can get past that and look at what she’s done for us as a whole.”

“I feel like she’s irreplaceable,” said Rachel Ellman, a 21-year-old who studies aerospace engineering.

Many expressed sadness for Ms. Jones. “It’s like a Thomas Hardy tragedy, because she did so much good, but something she did long ago came back and trumped it,” said Leslie Perelman, director of the M.I.T. program in writing and humanistic studies, and a friend of Ms. Jones.

Ms. Jones’s resignation, effective immediately, was announced in an e-mail message to the M.I.T. campus today.

According to M.I.T. officials, the college received information questioning Ms. Jones’s academic background about 10 days ago, and, after spending a few days checking it out, asked for her resignation on Monday.

“There are some mistakes people can make for which ‘I’m sorry’ can be accepted, but this is one of those matters where the lack of integrity is sufficient all by itself,” the chancellor said. “This is a very sad situation for her and for the institution. We have obviously placed a lot of trust in her.”

A spokesman for Rensselaer said that while Ms. Jones did not graduate from the institution, she was a part-time nonmatriculated student during the 1974-75 school year. The other colleges said they had no record of her.
    All I can say is, Wow!
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

kinda sad...
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

The fact that she progressed through the system was based on merit, not on a forged resume.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        The fact that she progressed through the system was based on merit, not on a forged resume.
        QFT.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I agree, it's unfortunate. However, resigning was the right thing to do. Her past accomplishments may save her career despite this. But there is no way should could keep that job.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Comment

Sure. Lie, cheat, doesn't matter as long as you get what you want and nobody catches you. THAT is the American way.
              What?

Comment

Degrees and Diplomas

That woman
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

The admissions process at elite American universities is already so ridiculous that this hardly seems out of place.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

But there is no way should could keep that job.

I disagree, sort of. I think she should be offered her job back, and she should respectfully decline. A show of her contributions, but a repremand for her past actions. She obviously did a good job, and that shouldn't be taken from her, unless you think that MIT has produced some idiots over the pass 10-20 years.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Any woman in a position of power with real degrees should be a red flag.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

I disagree, sort of. I think she should be offered her job back, and she should respectfully decline. A show of her contributions, but a repremand for her past actions. She obviously did a good job, and that shouldn't be taken from her, unless you think that MIT has produced some idiots over the pass 10-20 years.
                        It's not a reprimand, if they offer her job back. Allowing to resign, allows her to leave with dignity. However, this is a case of the ends not justifying the means. By letting her stay, it opens the door for others to say, "I lied on my resume, but I had full-intention of doing a job. Is that so wrong?" Cheating can not be tolerated.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I think 28 years of service outweighs a mistake of this nature, by a large margin. Most people stretch the truth on their resumes anyway, going from "attended school" to "graduated from school" is kinda a long stretch of course... but most of the work force who put "team player" down as a strength are stretching it a lot further.

I'm sure we all would put "posts on Apolyton and plays games from work whenever possible" or the like on our resumes to help the prospective employer accurately assess our job qualifications.

Comment

I think 28 years of service outweighs a mistake of this nature, by a large margin.

Not in her job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              I think 28 years of service outweighs a mistake of this nature, by a large margin.

Not in her job.
                              Actually, yes, in her job.

Comment

Working...
                              X