BBS's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS's

SO I assume many of you guys ventured in BBS's before the internet boom. Do you remember the first time you logged into a BBS? I do. It was exciting... wasn't quite sure what it was all about.. but there was this compelling ASCII right there, and then BOOM! Some kind of an interface. What what whaaat? (M)ail (F)iles etc etc.. you know. Then you just used the commands and boom, there was like all these directories and files, and this is outside YOUR computer. Cool stuff.

A lot of people never had the feeling since they went straight to the internet so there was no progression of thought from nothing to BBS first, so anyway, an idea that you could download files and upload them. Too cool man... I mean, there are all these files, like mostly text files, but also other things, little programs, even a game or two. There was a distinct feeling when you went into these places, especially a new BBS you never called before or your first times in general. It was excitement, it was like watching a movie where someone walks in a dungeon.. what's next, what we will see? Who knows!?

It was an extremely personal experience every single time, almost intimate. Then, you discovered you could chat with the sysop. Some boards even had multiple nodes, so you could leave messages and read them, plus when smodem came, you could actually not only download but also upload at the same time, unlike that crappy zmodem, and you could CHAT with people at the same time. Now that's COOL!! Oh, and boards that had only zmodem were lame, you had to have smodem support.

Then of course, you found out, that there were games pirated in these places. The sysop would give you access to a whole new layers of the board, and woaaah, dude, I can get these games now! Then you move on, and suddenly, you'll notice there's a whole bunch of boards just dedicated to trading, and they had limits, like no older than 7d.... 0d boards were crazy, I even remember 12h board . This was still before the internet boom, when all the action was on BBS's.

So then there were these groups like PWA etc, cool groups. Then one day, one of my friends had gotten into a group, so later on I was inducted as well because I was vouched for, right? Damn, I mean that felt like being a made man now, and not everyone can get in. In fact, back in the days it was exclusive, most people didn't even know what a modem is. Games would fit into like 15 megs or so.. then they started coming up with larger games, 50 megs and more, plus then you had to rip the sounds and all that stuff, because a release over 100 megs would be too big. It would take forever to download or upload. And games stared to come up with some crappy animation and all, so you had movie add ons, sound add ons and music add ons to games . So even if someone uploaded the game itself, you could still eat the cake by sodomizing the add ons in first.

I remember a time when people would go to these gatherings, like in the demo scene, so these groups would go there, and they would wear badges, because you could have a name tag, so they'd wear their handles and group affiliation like a badge of honour. I remember going into this big demo party back in the days, so I requested my badge and the dude who gave it to me was like "wooaah, you belong into X"? Instant God. Felt good.

How about some battles between groups, some feuds even. Or what about when you started to be interested in hmm.. how the hell do they crack these games anyway? All you needed back then was a hexaeditor, most of it was very very elementary. Early CDs had no protection what so ever usually anyway. Only thing you had to do most of the times was to enable the use of that CD from a HD0 or so, so it would function perfectly when you ripped it. That was all many times. They got a bit better in time, but not much.

Then all these, man, you can have these callers, you can call all these boards automatically, you could do a lot of stuff. Of course you still can, but it's just not fun.

Did you guys get excited with the boards or what?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I used BBS a couple of times. The internet was already in full swing in the "developed world" then, and slowly coming to my neck of woods, so my expirience with them was brief. But yes, there was something magical about discovering things for the first time.

Comment

I loved BBSs. I remember playing Legend of the Red Dragon, and downloading all sorts of cool utilities (like RAR for DOS) on my 14.4kbps modem
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I still have my GVC 14.4kbps modem It was cool.. also, back then all the games were DOS games, so all these ripped games, you usually had to do some magic to get them work, usually it just involved editing some .bat-file or something, but SOMETIMES you had to optimize your memory, right? How difficult was that ****? Some games were ridiculous with the demands, as in, I can play it but then I can't get my soundcard to work. Right... Sometimes it took a bit of time to have your stuff working fully .

And soundcards usually were a bit of a problem, well I had Soundblaster so it functioned well with everything, but my friend got GUS, because it was superior, but sometimes you just couldn't get it to work with some games or demos or something. Ridiculous what people had to go through then
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I still have my 2400 bps modem. Beat that

Yep, DOS programs had many memory issues. The first 640k were problematic, some games insisted to fit there even if there was expanded/extended memory on the computer. So you had to do funny things like loading mouse drivers to upper memory and playing with autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Comment

VL, exactly. A pain in the ass sometimes.. I mean, once you get really used to it, you know exactly what to do so you can have certain amount of free memory. So you just

mem

NGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!! Still not enough?!?
            In da butt.

Comment

I remember having contests with my friends... like who could get the most free conventional memory with CD-ROM, mouse, sound, and EMS enabled.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Thanks to expirience gained meddling with DOS I've always had a pretty good idea of what was going on on personal computers, including Windows later on. My unix/linux/mainframe knowlege is much weaker though
                Didn't have one at home to practice on...

Comment

Right, right.. when Qemm came, it was nice. I think I never had any problems running anything with all the features when I used Qemm.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                    SOMETIMES you had to optimize your memory, right? How difficult was that ****
                    device = emm386.exe /NOEMS
                    device = himem.sys /UMB
                    Last edited by LordShiva; April 23, 2007, 18:23.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

I was extremely active on local BBSes from 4th-11th grade before failing for the siren song of the internet. I remember discussing with school friends how lucky we were to live in a central part of the county so that our local toll free calling area was larger then most other places. Thus we could was hours playing online text based games, spamming forums, and trading warez. I got my first copy of Civ1 off of a local BBS.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I used to play Falcon's Eye and Legend Of the Red Dragon.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          I still have my 2400 bps modem. Beat that

Yep, DOS programs had many memory issues. The first 640k were problematic, some games insisted to fit there even if there was expanded/extended memory on the computer. So you had to do funny things like loading mouse drivers to upper memory and playing with autoexec.bat and config.sys.
                          I was happy when my dad bought my Commedore 64 a blazing fast 9600 baud modem.

I later was green with jealousy because my friend had a 14,400 baud modem.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Legend Of the Red Dragon.

Too bad LoRD 2 sucked

I played The Clans for a while, too.

Comment

So far, I've seen nothing like days gone by.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X