Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people go to the gym but then only do cardio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get them mainly in the biceps and in an arc from anterior deltoid to pectoral.

I do try to drink fruit juice or soda after workout in addition to 50 g of protein or so. They really aren't that bad, though. They don't bug me like pain from actual injury. You know they're going away within a day.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I find that the mistake most beginners make is to use weights far too light for them. Of course, there are also the idiots that use weights too heavy for them.

If you can't lift it once then it's too heavy. If you can lift it 10 times without collapsing it's too light. Pretty simple.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
        Simple answer..don't change routines. So long as you're lifting heavy, hitting every bodypart and increasing poundage you don't need to mess things around..
        "Increasing poundage" being the operative term. I'm a hard gainer, and plateau every couple months. Even if I don't change routines, I need to switch up angles, reps, use split reps/forced reps, and other such trickery to break through them
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I swear to god I plateaued for like 3 months on my bench press a while back. Most ****ing frustrating thing ever. I did some negatives for a while and it worked like magic.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Good news about not being able to work out for 3 weeks is that I've lost ~6 pounds. Bad news is that 1-2 lbs of that is probably muscle. When I'm not lifting I have very little appetite (I haven't been able to run either, because of ankle injury from basketball).

I need to stop hurting myself in sports.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              I swear to god I plateaued for like 3 months on my bench press a while back. Most ****ing frustrating thing ever. I did some negatives for a while and it worked like magic.

Switch to dumbells, far superior
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Actually, I was talking dumbbell bench press.

Only use bar for squats and curls (I cheat less on curls with bar than dumbbells)
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Because they don't have time during the daylight?

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Actually, I was talking dumbbell bench press.

Only use bar for squats and curls (I cheat less on curls with bar than dumbbells)
                    I never use the bar. Dumbell squats
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

What does that have to do with not doing weights?
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler

I never use the bar. Dumbell squats
                        I use the safety bar for squats. I'm pretty strong in the legs, so I'm afraid of what would happen if I slipped.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Assuming this is true (which I doubt): OMG teh statistical significance

People overestimate the power of cardio and underestimate the power of weight training because they don't have the discipline, form, and tolerance of initial muscle soreness to stick with an effective weight training program.
                          I worry about having a stroke.

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I use the safety bar for squats. I'm pretty strong in the legs, so I'm afraid of what would happen if I slipped.

Aha, the other mistake noobs make, thinking a bit of cycling is all they need for legs..
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Metabolism is a huge thing in amount of calories burned. It can be a difference of 1000 calories I think (between high metabolism and low, same weight).

I am currently doing 1 hour of burnouts (I think that is the right term, very low weight, but a lot of it) and 2+ hours of cardio per week. I would like to add another hour of resistance training and another hour of cardio (so that I am doing at least 5 hours exercise a week).

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Honestly, my legs were always far stronger (relative to other people) than my arms were, so I didn't do any weight exercises on them for a long time. Then my upper body started catching up, so now I do both.

My calves are still ****ing ridiculous, so I don't do anything for them. I think it's the Scot in me...
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X