Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people go to the gym but then only do cardio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doddler
    He is claiming that 1000 calories can be consumed in 25 minutes
    No, because I also contest the 3500 calories/pound thing.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What's the effect of smoking on the metabolic rate? :controversial:

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

No, because I also contest the 3500 calories/pound thing.
        Then you're a crackpot.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
          So how is working out 1h cardio different from working out 1h weights?
          Your body derives energy from a variety of sources - fat, muscle, glycogen, etc. The higher the intensity, the share of glycogen is higher than that of fat. When you do high-intensity cardio and weight training, your immediate energy needs are therefore met by burning glycogen. The difference between cardio and weight training is that weight training, done properly, builds muscle, while cardio causes the release of cortisol which causes you to lose muscle. More muscle = greater resting metabolic rate. Rest is obviously low-intensity, so a higher resting metabolic rate, 24/7 burns a whole lot of fat. Low-intensity cardio burns a greater share of fat vs. glycogen too, but since it's low intensity and for a limited period of time, the total amount of calories burned is lower, so the fact that a higher proportion of those calories are delivered from fat isn't particularly helpful.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
            What's the effect of smoking on the metabolic rate? :controversial:
            Nicotine, one of the components of cigarette smoke, increases energy expenditure by stimulating the central nervous system. Once this drug is removed from a person's system, energy expenditure returns to normal. This difference is not very significant and the person should adjust to it in a short period of time.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Absolute BS.

People underestimate the power of proper cardio in shedding weight. My dad dropped 50 pounds over 6 months just by buying a stationary bike and biking 25 mins a day.
              Assuming this is true (which I doubt): OMG teh statistical significance

People overestimate the power of cardio and underestimate the power of weight training because they don't have the discipline, form, and tolerance of initial muscle soreness to stick with an effective weight training program.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

You only get the DOMS once anyway
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

"My dad dropped 50 pounds over 6 months just by buying a stationary bike and biking 25 mins a day."

Absoluter BS.

To lose a pound of fat you need a 3500 calorie deficit. 50 pounds therefore needs a 175000calorie deficit. Over 180 days this is approximately 1000calorie deficit per day.

This can not be achieved solely by biking 25 mins per day.

One hour's biking uses 300 - 700 calories.
                  You are neglecting training effect. You can tack on an extra 300-500 calories a day from increased metabolism (outside "calories burned" during actual exercise period).

Having muscle and little fat does not necessarily make you in shape. Most of the more-muscled guys I know can't run for ****.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Having muscle and little fat does not necessarily make you in shape. Most of the more-muscled guys I know can't run for ****.
                    That's because they don't need to.
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

You only get the DOMS once anyway
                      Whenever I take off more than 2 weeks due to injury, laziness or inconvenient situation I get DOMS at least 3-4 times after coming back to my regular routine.

I broke a finger on my left hand 3 weeks ago playing flag football and I'm not looking forward to the initial aches when I start again (within next couple of days).

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That's because they don't need to.
                        Have fun dying of a heart attack when you're 50, *****.

I like to have muscle and be able to sprint more than 30 seconds without puking, thanks.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Whenever I take off more than 2 weeks due to injury, laziness or inconvenient situation I get DOMS at least 3-4 times after coming back to my regular routine.

I broke a finger in my hand 3 weeks ago playing flag football and I'm not looking forward to the initial aches when I start again (within next couple of days).

I got some severe ones across my chest last time I returned. I find the best way to limit them is to take on 50g or so of simple sugar (glucose/dextrose) immediately after your exercising
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I like DOMS

I get it for a week or more when I change routines. Gives me a nice Calvinist feeling of productivity

Comment

Have fun dying of a heart attack when you're 50, *****.

I like to have muscle and be able to sprint more than 30 seconds without puking, thanks.
                              I incorporate HIIT sprints for cardio health into my routines

I'd actually suggest these built guys you mention aren't as low in body fat as you'd think. Carrying some muscle allows you to look slimmer than you actually are.
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                                I like DOMS

I get it for a week or more when I change routines. Gives me a nice Calvinist feeling of productivity
                                Simple answer..don't change routines. So long as you're lifting heavy, hitting every bodypart and increasing poundage you don't need to mess things around..
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X