Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people go to the gym but then only do cardio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
    Some days I do cardio, some days I do weights. On days that I have more than an hour and a half or so, I do both.
    If you are male, working out for longer an hour is counter-productive. Your testosterone levels drop and cortisol levels rise at around the hour mark meaning all you're doing is burning up muscle.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler

I'd prefer to burn a calorie from fat than a calorie from muscle.

You don't understand. The body first draws from energy available in the blood, then from fat, and then from muscles.

There is no mystique of your body 'knowing' what you're doing. If you're lifting a weight, your body won't say 'hey, he's lifting so I'll draw from the fat first'. The only case where cardio would eat up muscle mass is if your diet was insufficient in proteins.

Most likely, you're living on this illusion because lifting increases muscular mass, not because the body 'chooses'.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris

You don't understand. The body first draws from energy available in the blood, then from fat, and then from muscles.

There is no mystique of your body 'knowing' what you're doing. If you're lifting a weight, your body won't say 'hey, he's lifting so I'll draw from the fat first'. The only case where cardio would eat up muscle mass is if your diet was insufficient in proteins.

Most likely, you're living on this illusion because lifting increases muscular mass, not because the body 'chooses'.
        There are so many things wrong with that it's not worth correcting.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Just spill the beans if you're right. I'm just slightly skeptical, knowing that you can't make the difference between a j/s and a w/s.

Comment

Just spill the beans if you're right. I'm just slightly skeptical, knowing that you can't make the difference between a j/s and a w/s.
            Well i) what is a w/s? and ii) "The body first draws from energy available in the blood, then from fat, and then from muscles." is just a complete load of crap.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Well I'll give you that it's simplistic high school biology. Still, I'd like to know how expending energy with a generalized cardio effort entails that the body will draw from muscles, and how lifting means it won't.

Comment

Well I'll give you that it's simplistic high school biology. Still, I'd like to know how expending energy with a generalized cardio effort entails that the body will draw from muscles, and how lifting means it won't.
                Where was that claimed?

(and you hopefully know muscles store energy)
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler

Where was that claimed?

(and you hopefully know muscles store energy)
                  "If you're looking to lose fat, you've got to incorporate resistance. If you're looking to lose weight (fat and muscle), then go ahead and do all the cardio you want, but the muscle you lose will slow your metabolism."

You're saying that 'resistance' entails losing fat, while cardio entails losing fat and muscle.

Then you go on and say that:
                  "If you are male, working out for longer an hour is counter-productive. Your testosterone levels drop and cortisol levels rise at around the hour mark meaning all you're doing is burning up muscle."

So how is working out 1h cardio different from working out 1h weights?

If you meant what you wrote, that is. Are you a conscious being ?

Comment

In the short-term both cardio and lifting will draw from muscles, but in recovery muscles will be repaired and strengthened after lifting due to sustained hypertrophy. Get it?
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Well, that's a nice theory, but that doesn't seem to fit with experience. How would you explain that my biceps have grown since I began to do push-ups on a daily basis (without anything else ?) Are you claiming that my other muscles are shrinking wihtout me noticing ?

And what about the rule of muscular power vs endurance ? Endurance athletes work out on repetition rather than raw power, and they don't seem to shrink, do they ?

Comment

Amazing how many "experts" there are here.
                        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                          Amazing how many "experts" there are here.
                          The ones who know the least have the loudest mouths.

Whenever I see two guys on my ignore list debating, I know there's something stupid going on so most of the polytubbies stop bothering with the thread. I won't shed a tear for this one, because it's a doddler thread.

@Asher, you're correct, it's not that hard to lose >700 kcal in an hour by cycling.

Comment

Well, that's a nice theory, but that doesn't seem to fit with experience. How would you explain that my biceps have grown since I began to do push-ups on a daily basis (without anything else ?) Are you claiming that my other muscles are shrinking wihtout me noticing ?
                            i) push-ups are a resistance exercise so they ought to promot hypertrophy and increased sixe
                            but ii) biceps should not be involved in push-ups

And what about the rule of muscular power vs endurance ? Endurance athletes work out on repetition rather than raw power, and they don't seem to shrink, do they ?
                            Marathon runners do. What sort of endurance are you talking about?

You seem to have some very strange notions.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

@Asher, you're correct, it's not that hard to lose >700 kcal in an hour by cycling.
                              He is claiming that 1000 calories can be consumed in 25 minutes
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Muscle tissue utilises fat as energy. The effects of muscle atrophy are compounded by going on a diet or doing lots of cardiovascular activity. Doing too much cardiovascular activity without eating enough can speed up the breakdown of muscle. Therefore, the more muscle you lose, the easier it is for the body to store fat.

Studies at the University of Florida show that:

Cardio is great for weight loss, but weight loss from
                                cardio alone may decrease your metabolism,
                                forcing you to eat less calories to maintain your
                                new body weight.
                                Cardio training increases catabolic enzymes (decreases
                                the amount of fat free mass, which is needed to maintain
                                your resting metabolism).
                                Endurance Training vs. Resistance Training
                                 The endurance trained group burned 2 x’s the
                                calories the resistance trained group burned,
                                but the resistance trained group lost a greater
                                amount of body fat.
                                What affects your metabolic rate?
                                Food - 10%
                                Activity - 25%
                                RMR – aka metabolism - 65%
                                Muscle = >RMR
                                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X