Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Berzerker
    I thought they dated Santorini to 1628 BC

anyway, its possible... The assumption required is that Plato (and Solon and his Egyptian sources) mistook 9,000 years for 900. But certainly the Minoans were known and certainly known by the Egyptians. Why would Egyptians confuse the two?

Because the Egyptians who knew the Minoans had been dead for 900 years.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
      It's NOT a new theory...
      QFT 2000
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Because the Egyptians who knew the Minoans had been dead for 900 years.
        The Egyptians kept better records, Solon's sources could have said Atlantis was destroyed during the reign of Tutmoses or someone if there was a historical context. But it was "myth" even to the Egyptians...

Its pretty clear to me that if Atlantis existed it was a post-ice age civilization flooded by rising seal levels, perhaps within the Mediterranean. Hell, maybe it was the Black Sea flood around 5500 BC. That could give rise to Flood myths as well as lost civilization myths. Nah, the Flood myths are too widespread to be a local event although that certainly wouldn't preclude local flood myths. The Black Sea flood sure would have had a lasting impact on the survivors' view of the world...and mythology...

Maybe Malta is connected to Atlantis, it goes back far enough to be contemporary with the oldest Egyptian dynasties. And it appears connected to the "megalith" culture ringing the old world side of the N Atlantic, including lands beyond the Pillars of Hercules.
        One theory says the 9,000 years in Plato's writings was 9,000 months and that this brings Thera/Santorini into the picture. But were the Minoans really that powerful and that advanced to make Egypt (and Greece) quiver?

I thought the eastern Mediterranean saw an invasion of "Sea Peoples" around 1500 BC, and maybe the Minoan survivors became the Phoenicians.

Comment

Working...
        X