Feisty Fawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher

It's a retarded question for the installer to ask. If you want "advanced" options like that, make it in the advanced installer. All it's doing is intimidating and confusing users.
    Maybe so. But this question does not present itself when you do a fresh install, it only exists when you do an upgrade from a previous installation. Again, you are judging the upgrade process, not the user experience (or even the process for a fresh install).

It's full of acronyms that don't make sense (I thought it meant mini-discs?) with lots of white space that could've been used to present the question in a user-friendly fashion.
    That is precisely why the sane defaults exist - "If you don't know that it means, it won't affect you, so don't worry". This is a great reassurance for a user, that clicking "Forward" when they don't know something won't break their system. As long as they know this, even ten dialog boxes like this aren't an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
      Maybe so. But this question does not present itself when you do a fresh install, it only exists when you do an upgrade from a previous installation. Again, you are judging the upgrade process, not the user experience (or even the process for a fresh install).
      This is the user experience. Every six months this is part of the user experience on Ubuntu.

That is precisely why the sane defaults exist - "If you don't know that it means, it won't affect you, so don't worry". This is a great reassurance for a user
      It is never a reassurance to the user to be saying "okay" to things they've no idea what they're doing.

I LOVE this thread because it'll be clear to most people the #1 problem with Linux developers and evangelists, and the #1 reason your OP was hilariously wrong.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

This is the user experience. Every six months this is part of the user experience on Ubuntu.

It is never a reassurance to the user to be saying "okay" to things they've no idea what they're doing.

I LOVE this thread because it'll be clear to most people the #1 problem with Linux developers and evangelists, and the #1 reason your OP was hilariously wrong.
        Let me put it this way - the issues which my friends had with Linux were resolved in this release.

Comment

The "wobbly" window move effect is hilariously amateurish.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The "wobbly" window move effect is hilariously amateurish.
            I presume you're using Beryl?

Comment

I just turned on the effects in Desktop Effects.

Didn't download anything.

Comment

OK. Beryl is currently unsupported. Desktop Effects (Compiz) are (is) supported.

Comment

It's not that it's buggy, it's just stupid.

It just bobbles the screen contents around. It's annoying and doesn't add any functionality.

It's just a geeky thing people programmed.

Comment

It's supposed to simply look good. If you don't like it, turn it off! In fact, why did you turn it on in the first place, if it annoys you?

Comment

It doesn't look good, it looks wobbly.

I thought the whole point of having a 3D desktop would be you can do more things productively with it. You'd be amazed at the kind of productive stuff you can do with WPF. We're making programs for financial institutions and a modeling agency that leverage the 3D graphics chip and WPF to present the information.

The Linux solution is frickin' "wobbly windows"...

Comment

Working...
                      X