Feisty Fawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feisty Fawn

I just finished upgrading my Ubuntu Edgy install to Feisty today, and I must say I'm extremely impressed.

This release, IMO, marks the beginning of Linux emerging as a serious competitor in the desktop segment.

Everything is smooth as silk.

Proprietary drivers and codecs, all of them are pretty much a one-click install. Whenever you try to play a media file whose codes is not supported out of the box, it asks you whether you want to search for the relevant codec, and installs it for you, all through a nice wizard. Whenever you want to install a proprietary driver, just go to the "Restricted Drivers Manager", and tick off the one you want to use. It'll download and install it for you.

As none of the proprietary stuff ships with the distro itself, but is as easy to install as if it did, no ideological compromise is necessary, either.

Compiz comes installed by default. To enable it, go to Desktop Effects, and turn it on. Beryl is another one-click install.

Basically, it's been simplified to the point where a hypothetical generic grandmother could use it. No fuss, no mess, and ALL the issues which were holding it back have been pretty much resolved.

Has anyone else here tried it?

Re: Feisty Fawn

Originally posted by aneeshm
    I just finished upgrading my Ubuntu Edgy install to Feisty today, and I must say I'm extremely impressed.

This release, IMO, marks the beginning of Linux emerging as a serious competitor in the desktop segment.

Are you serious? Do you know how many times that has been said over the past 10 years?

As for that image, it speaks volumes of the mindset of Linux developers: While technically somewhat impressive, it is both ugly and non-functional.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It is indeed very impressive.

I ran the update wizard on my Ubuntu laptop install, and it doesn't work.
      Attached Files
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Re: Re: Feisty Fawn

Originally posted by Asher

Are you serious? Do you know how many times that has been said over the past 10 years?
        Yes, I know how many times it has been said. That is why I said marks, and said beginning. Not some arrogant thing like "This is the year of Linux on the Desktop!!!!!" or some such nonsense. I'm saying that the flaws which have held the average user back have been almost completely addressed.

As for that image, it speaks volumes of the mindset of Linux developers: While technically somewhat impressive, it is both ugly and non-functional.
        Ugly and non-functional? Mindset of Linux developers?

AFAIK, Beryl is something which the kernel team does not work on. Also, considering that this is something like version 0.2.1, I'd say it's quite impressive. Beryl is supposed to compete in the eyecandy segment, and it is doing that quite well.

And what precisely if the function of eyecandy except to look good (the desktop cube metaphor, by the way, is quite functional).

Also, on what criterion do you call it "ugly"?

Comment

It is indeed very impressive.

I ran the update wizard on my Ubuntu laptop install, and it doesn't work.
          Did you try again after some time?

But anyway, you should never be taken as a sample - we know from past experience that when it comes to anything to do with Linux, you're jinxed.

Comment

Yes, I know how many times it has been said. That is why I said marks, and said beginning. Not some arrogant thing like "This is the year of Linux on the Desktop!!!!!" or some such nonsense. I'm saying that the flaws which have held the average user back have been almost completely addressed.

Uh. Still haven't said anything that hasn't been said since the early days of Red Hat.
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi

Uh. Still haven't said anything that hasn't been said since the early days of Red Hat.
              It'll take a few more releases for this to make much any headway, I admit that, but this is the equilibrium point.

Comment

Man, I opened this thread expecting a funny picture of a baby deer biting a hunter on the butt or something. Not some Linux crap.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I was expecting a babe thread.
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I had to install all other updates before I could install the dist upgrade. User-friendly, alright.

Then once it downloaded 1GB of data for the upgrade, this user-friendly prompt during the install:
                    Attached Files

Comment

You could click the helpful little "Help" button, the one that was prominently displayed to the right.

And do you know that it is built keeping in mind the system "If you don't know what it means, click Forward" - that is, the defaults are all sane, and if you don't know what application is being referred to, you don't have to worry about it - nothing will break.

Comment

And do you know that it is built keeping in mind the system "If you don't know what it means, click Forward"
                        If you think this is acceptable for a mass-market system, then this perfectly explains your position.

It's not, for what it's worth.

Comment

If you think this is acceptable for a mass-market system, then this perfectly explains your position.

It's not, for what it's worth.
                          Since when was having sane defaults a bad thing? It's the way most people install software on Windows, anyway - trusting the developers that they've kept the defaults proper.

And don't you think that we're comparing apples and oranges when we compare the install process of Linux with the use experience of Windows? Let's compare either the install processes, or the user experiences.

If we assume that the person doing the installation and post-installation work is also the user, then Linux is miles ahead of Windows in this regard, specially Feisty.

If we want to compare user experiences, then which is more intuitive - having all your drivers pre-installed, having a nice wizard pop up and automatically install whatever codec you need whenever you try to open that type of file, and a one-click manager for proprietary drivers, or the Windows model?

Comment

Since when was having sane defaults a bad thing?
                            You still don't get it. Again, this is a widespread problem in the Linux community.

It's a retarded question for the installer to ask. If you want "advanced" options like that, make it in the advanced installer. All it's doing is intimidating and confusing users.

It's full of acronyms that don't make sense (I thought it meant mini-discs?) with lots of white space that could've been used to present the question in a user-friendly fashion.

Comment

having a nice wizard pop up and automatically install whatever codec you need whenever you try to open that type of file,

BTW, Windows Media Player 11 does this automatically in the background. No wizard necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X