No announcement yet.

Google profits $1 billion in 1Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know that the economy needs so many engineers. The economy doesn't reward some branches of engineering very well as it is.
    Last edited by DanS; April 21, 2007, 14:30.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We do. That's where the innovation comes from and having more qualified engineers means more innovation which leads to economic success.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You're looking at it way too simplistically. F.e., the economy has been shedding aeronautical and astronautical engineering jobs for decades. Train more aeronautical and astronautical engineers and you'll just have a lot more unemployed aeronautical and astronautical engineers. Further, the effectiveness of an engineer has been raised substantially in most engineering fields.
        Last edited by DanS; April 21, 2007, 15:29.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Isn't the (admittedly sometimes counterintuitive) trend that when a certain type of labor is made more effective, you want more of it, not less?

Comment

Now now Dan, don't tell me you're falling for the fixed-amount-of-work fallacy as well?
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              Isn't the (admittedly sometimes counterintuitive) trend that when a certain type of labor is made more effective, you want more of it, not less?
              Depends on the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                Now now Dan, don't tell me you're falling for the fixed-amount-of-work fallacy as well?
                No, I'm not arguing that. Rather, I'm arguing against the simplistic notion that you if you ramp up the engineering education numbers, you necessarily will get innovation in industry (or the flip side, that if you reduce engineering education numbers, that you will necessarily get stagnation in industry). Likewise, I'm arguing against a straight numerical comparison of educated engineers among countries.
                Last edited by DanS; April 21, 2007, 17:12.

Comment

OTOH a greater supply of engineers should push down the costs of engineering, which in turn would have beneficial effect on innovation.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Google's stock has jumped up to $700 on the rumor that google intends to break into the mobile phone market. Maintaining a mobile phone network requires a lot more manpower and infastructure then running a search engine.

I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect profit growth high enough to justify a $700 share price.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                    X