Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Google profits $1 billion in 1Q

Originally posted by DanS
    Google brings in $1 billion in profit over the quarter. 69% increase in profit from the quarter year ago.
    And still less than 1% of market value. Google has to become pretty damn huge before this starts being a sensible investment, IMHO.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Google's market cap is ~150 billion IIRC

4*1 billion = 4 billion

4 billion/150 billion is 2.67%

150/4 = 37.5

37.5 times earnings is high, but not ridiculous for a company with revenues growing at 69% year over year.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

companies like Google are the future. They relay upon highly educated engineers, scientists, and computer programmers to innovate and create the next new thing. Unfortunately, this is exactly the area where the American education system is failing worst. If we want to keep creating Googles then we need to keep the pipeline full of new scientists and engineers. The problem is we are not as ever fewer Americans have the skills or desire to do the hard work to enter into real science fields.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Thue is correct.
          I suppose it's no surprise then that there have been no ads given the way I use that particular account.

Comment

Re: Re: Google profits $1 billion in 1Q

Originally posted by Drogue
            And still less than 1% of market value. Google has to become pretty damn huge before this starts being a sensible investment, IMHO.
            I thought GOOG at $100 at IPO was overvalued. I still can't say that I was wrong, given the risks that GOOG faced.

How many GOOGs out of 100 would have become YHOOs after IPO?
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              companies like Google are the future.
              Like Google? What companies are like Google? From $0 to $1 billion in profit per quarter in about 8 years -- almost all of the growth being organic.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The American Education system

Originally posted by Oerdin
                companies like Google are the future. They relay upon highly educated engineers, scientists, and computer programmers to innovate and create the next new thing. Unfortunately, this is exactly the area where the American education system is failing worst. If we want to keep creating Googles then we need to keep the pipeline full of new scientists and engineers. The problem is we are not as ever fewer Americans have the skills or desire to do the hard work to enter into real science fields.
                is fine. It is producing loads of scientists and engineers. They just happen to all be immigrants from Asia.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Re: The American Education system

Originally posted by pchang

is fine. It is producing loads of scientists and engineers. They just happen to all be immigrants from Asia.
                  immigrants that stay or immigrants that choose to leave or find it impossible to stay in the world of post 9/11 US immigration regulation?

IIRC a larger chunk of those scientists and engineers are being effectively exported than ever before. Maybe someone else could confirm that.

Comment

Re: The American Education system

Originally posted by pchang

What I'm saying is eventually the opportunities will be in Asia and then Asian scientists will be less willing to immigrate. The US needs more domestically produced scientists to buffer for when that happens. In the 1960's a combination of student aid and the glamor of the space race caused a generation of of Americans to become scientists and engineers. Since then we've fallen short. We need more people to study real science if we want to continue to innovate as Asia grows stronger.

I'd just have the government give everyone studying a hard science or engineering free college for four years. That money should encourage more people to do the hard studying to become a scientist instead of taking the easy way out and becoming another unemployed history or sociology major.

Comment

What I'm saying is eventually the opportunities will be in Asia and then Asian scientists will be less willing to immigrate.

That doesn't necessarily follow.

Comment

Google's pretty much in its own category. The company is engineer-led, so obviously, if you didn't have quality engineers, you wouldn't have Google. But most of the enabling factors are not strictly engineering-related. Has more to do with the ecosystem that Silicon Valley has fostered.

Comment

In other words, a place with lots of high quality scientists and engineers innovating and being joined up with venture capital. We should be trying to replicate that all across the country by training more scientists & engineers and by encouraging the growth of venture capital. We could end up with a dozen or two Silicon Valleys if we tried and we'd get that many more new Googles.

Comment

Well, this is assuming that Silicon Valley could produce another Google. I don't know that it could. Also, Google could stumble and lose its form.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              What I'm saying is eventually the opportunities will be in Asia and then Asian scientists will be less willing to immigrate.

That doesn't necessarily follow.
                              Hasn't this been the case with Bharatians already?
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                                Well, this is assuming that Silicon Valley could produce another Google. I don't know that it could. Also, Google could stumble and lose its form.
                                The more new companies we produce the more chances there are for a new Google. All the more reason to reform the crap we call our education system and refocus it on hard sciences and engineering. In the future the innovation is going to come, more and more, from Asia since those are the people willing to work hard in school and study real science or become engineers. The education gap is a creeping problem because it's a pipeline sending trained workers into the work force and for the last 20-30 years we've done worse and worse at turning native born citizens into high quality scientists and engineers. We've made up the gap by importing talent but we won't always be able to do that so we need to reform our failed education system.

Comment

Working...
                                X