Would it be weird/creepy if.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be weird/creepy if.....

.....I decided to maintain a computerised dossier on all my contacts, containing all the important information about them which I can find on the internet, along with a section containing data which only I am privy to (not confidential, or told in confidence - I wouldn't put that in writing - but stuff which only someone knowing them can know)?

Yep.
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man which he proposes to pay off with your money.

Comment

Yes.
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by khines
        Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
          Yes.
          I wonder - WHY is it something which is outside most people's comfort zones, or "normal zone"? The data is public, it's there on the internet, and they're the ones who put it there, then why care if someone collects and organises it?

Comment

Mostly because it's you who is doing it.
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

How would you control for inaccuracies?
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
                How would you control for inaccuracies?
                By using primary sources as much as possible.

For instance, when I was trying to see how much information I could collect, one person occupied a certain post in their school in certain year. I got this from the school's website itself. Another person's marks in the CET (a test for engineering students) were publicly available from the body which conducted the test. Stuff like that.

And the personal notes and info is, of course, gleaned through personal contact, so its accuracy is not really an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

I wonder - WHY is it something which is outside most people's comfort zones, or "normal zone"? The data is public, it's there on the internet, and they're the ones who put it there, then why care if someone collects and organises it?
                  It's not outside my comfort zone or "normal zone," just kind of odd that someone would be wanting that type of information for an innocuous reason.

Now, on the other hand, if you have a need for the information, such as business or criminal activity, that is a different story...
                  A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man which he proposes to pay off with your money.

Comment

Originally posted by khines

It's not outside my comfort zone or "normal zone," just kind of odd that someone would be wanting that type of information for an innocuous reason.

Now, on the other hand, if you have a need for the information, such as business or criminal activity, that is a different story...
                    To be honest, my primary motivation is to freak out the more simple-minded of my college mates by telling them that I have this "file" on them with me.

It could come in useful, though, I don't know how. Information is always useful.

Comment

You're not Korean are you?
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
                        You're not Korean are you?
                        Eh.... what?

What does my Koreanness (or lack thereof) have to do with whatever is being discussed?

Comment

Eh.... what?

What does my Koreanness (or lack thereof) have to do with whatever is being discussed?
                          See recent news articles on Virginia Tech.

Comment

The shooting? What about it?

Comment

The shooting? What about it?
                              If you read that thread you will see the meaning of Doddlers post.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X