No announcement yet.

Why the world is a better place than before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't mean for it to make sense. I meant for you to see what I have had to deal with in this thread.
    Ah. Nice try, but it bears little resemblence to what you've been dealing with in this thread.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

This sounds a helluva lot more likely and logical than category #1 (religion). Still, even if religion played a role (which still seems odd to me), it is but one of the three categories.

-Arrian
      Religion has played a part in all cases. It doesn't matter what created the spark. The development of religion coincided with the development of society.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Ah. Nice try, but it bears little resemblence to what you've been dealing with in this thread.

-Arrian
        Yeah, that's just BS. It is perfect resemblence to Imrans crap. Kontiki I will forgive, but it's still similar.

Comment

• I was obviously refering to the societies who were living in harmony with nature relatively speaking compared to others that were not. Should that be so hard to assume?
          Getting back to this, yes. Nothing you wrote in this thread gave me any reason to believe you were aware of the stuff Kontiki mentioned. He brought it up as a counterpoint and you went all "OMG you guys are nuts, I knew that already duh!" on him.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Getting back to this, yes. Nothing you wrote in this thread gave me any reason to believe you were aware of the stuff Kontiki mentioned. He brought it up as a counterpoint and you went all "OMG you guys are nuts, I knew that already duh!" on him.

-Arrian
            The thing is that it is not a counterpoint. That's what I am talking about.

Comment

• This is an interesting link... Diamond, btw, is the guy who wrote Guns, Germs and Steel. Harlan is also mentioned.

edit: doh, it didn't past properly. I hang on...

-Arrian

Comment

• what link?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

The thing is that it is not a counterpoint. That's what I am talking about.
                  You asserted that:

1) h/g's lived in harmony with nature; and
                  2) religion caused the neolithic revolution

Kontiki brought up evidence that wasn't so - that at least some h/g societies overhunted game to the point of extinction and thus shifted to farming.

Then you say I KNEW THAT! and claim it's not a counterpoint.

-Arrian

Comment

• Den sida du försökte nÃ¥ kunde inte hittas, det kan bero pÃ¥ att du klickat pÃ¥ en länk som inte fungerar, att du skrivit in en adress fel eller att sidan du försökt nÃ¥ är bortagen eller flyttad.

I haven't read it all yet, but it seems on-topic...

-Arrian

Comment

You asserted that:

1) h/g's lived in harmony with nature; and
                      2) religion caused the neolithic revolution

Kontiki brought up evidence that wasn't so - that at least some h/g societies overhunted game to the point of extinction and thus shifted to farming.

Then you say I KNEW THAT! and claim it's not a counterpoint.

-Arrian
                      I think first he called what I had said horse ****. To me that is suppose to mean that what I said was not true. When generally it is.

Comment

Den sida du försökte nå kunde inte hittas, det kan bero på att du klickat på en länk som inte fungerar, att du skrivit in en adress fel eller att sidan du försökt nå är bortagen eller flyttad.

I haven't read it all yet, but it seems on-topic...

-Arrian
                        You realize that that is part of "Working Papers in Economics." I don't expect them to think religion causes anything.

Comment

• Under section 4.3. of that link, they discuss possible cultural reasons for the adoption of agriculture/domestication of animals, including religion.

There are, of course, discussions of many other (non-cultural) reasons. Suffice it to say I find those more likely.

-Arrian

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

You realize that that is part of "Working Papers of Economics." I don't expect them to think religion causes anything.
                            It's also a lengthy, footnoted text discussing precisely what we're discussing.

And, as I noted in my last post, they do specifically address the cultural hypothesis. I only skimmed it, because I'm about to leave, but it was not dismissed out of hand. I don't think it was dismissed at all, actually. Basically, it's impossible to verify.

-Arrian

Comment

• I think first he called what I had said horse ****. To me that is suppose to mean that what I said was not true. When generally it is.
                              Last comment before I adjourn for the weekend...

He contested your assertions, provided a basis for his disagreement, and you then said "I KNEW THAT" and then moved straight on to "I'M RIGHT."

That doesn't work.

Anyway, have a good weekend.

-Arrian

Comment

• You too.

Comment

Working...
                                X