Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USAians. How many of us have yet to do our taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do people who trade stocks do? Write stuff down every time they sell a stock?
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

It's best not to get too much back. If you get lots back, that means you've essentially given the government an interst-free loan over the course of the year. Better to own some at the end, IMO, though not as much as we owed this year.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
        What do people who trade stocks do? Write stuff down every time they sell a stock?
        You should get a year-end form from your brokerage or what have you. You have to attach that form to your taxes (along with the form you get from your employer(s) with your wages/deductions).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If you get lots back, that means you've essentially given the government an interst-free loan over the course of the year.

Now that's theft. How do they justify not indexing it to the CPI or to the interest rate on T-Bills or something?
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Justify? This is the US government we're talking about here, Eli.

Consider, however, that since we owed money this year, we essentially got an interest-free loan from the government. It cuts both ways...

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              It's best not to get too much back. If you get lots back, that means you've essentially given the government an interst-free loan over the course of the year. Better to own some at the end, IMO, though not as much as we owed this year.

I disagree with you Arrian. I got over $9000 back this year, and I do it on purpose.

One year I actually planed to do something with my tax return. That year I actually owed $650. SO not only did I not have the money to do the project that needed to get done, but I owed more taxes. Right then and there I vowed to never have to pay in.

Sure the government get the interest on my money, but even at 7% (which savings accounts don't get), thats only $630 that they would have gotten.

Big deal.

Well worth it to both a) know that I'm not going to have to pay in and b) get myself a nice big check to play with (the money is free and clear and not accounted for in my family budget. Last year I bought a 42" Plasma. This year its going toward helping me finish my basement.
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I fhinished long ago

My refunds were received over a month ago.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

But had you withheld less, you'd have had access to your money during the year, instead of getting a big check in April or whenever you filed your return.

I'd rather owe (a small amount) than get back. To each his own, obviously.

-Arrian

Comment

GRRRRR!!!!

DIE!!!!!

1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      But had you withheld less, you'd have had access to your money during the year, instead of getting a big check in April or whenever you filed your return.

I'd rather owe (a small amount) than get back. To each his own, obviously.

-Arrian
                      Actually, if I had withheld less, my wife would have had access to it and she would have spent it on stupid stuff that we didn't need or wouldn't gain in value (she's a shopaholic).

Comment

Ah, see this is why YMMV

-Arrian

Comment

Eh?

Comment

Your Mileage May Vary.

In your case, the wifey makes a refund preferable.

In mine, not so much.

-Arrian

Comment

I did mine Sunday night - well, technically it was Monday morning.

Getting a little over $800 back total. Maybe I'll finally get around to upgrading my computer (not that I needed the refund for it, but it doesn't hurt).
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Frick, I can't find any of my tax forms and such..
                                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X