Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USAians. How many of us have yet to do our taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just finished two of my friends taxes today. god i hate the fact they know i can do this crap. I got back 5000 for my federal but ended up paying out the a@@ in one state tax that i was only there for 3 months. They said its to pay for the roads and police. I said to the guy at the dept of revenue, i only drove on one rd and i was pulled over many times by the police cause of my out of state plates thats one dam expensive road
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

State taxes.

Oregon messed with the Mrs. She paid state taxes while she worked there, but they base her taxable income on the ENTIRE YEAR, not just the 3 months she was actually in Oregon.

Buttholes.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Tell them to go to hell. You don't work there anymore and I doubt the IRS is going to come down on you for not paying a state tax (right?)...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

How does the US taxes compare to Frances? My roommate thinks Frances is lower, but I don't think that is the case...

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Comparing "taxes" between countries is difficult, but I think France has higher taxes than the US no matter how you look at. We have the highest "tax misery" rate in the world...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              Comparing "taxes" between countries is difficult, but I think France has higher taxes than the US no matter how you look at. We have the highest "tax misery" rate in the world...
              But the tax misery rate really needs to be correlated with a quality of life index. Quality of life in #1 & #3 on that list, france and Belgium, is actualy quite high, which is some indication that taxes are actually being used for the appropriate purpose -- the common good. Quality of life in #2 -- China -- is on the other hand much lower, which seems to me a truer sense of "tax misery."
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Shawn Miller didn't ask about quality of life. Of course, France and Belgium rank lower than the US on that metric, as well...

KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Shawn Miller didn't ask about quality of life. Of course, France and Belgium rank lower than the US on that metric, as well...

http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/QUALITY_OF_LIFE.pdf
                  But that hardly seems fair; it takes into account the French's subjective opinions about their own lives...and the French practically invented pissing and moaning.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

No, we invented arrogance and smugness. The English invented pissing and moaning...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

No, we invented arrogance and smugness. The English invented pissing and moaning...
                      You also invented ennui. The English invented muddling through and using the phrase "mustn't grumble." I think pissing and moaning is yours.

Comment

What is this doing taxes thingie? I'm asking seriously.
                        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                          Oregon messed with the Mrs. She paid state taxes while she worked there, but they base her taxable income on the ENTIRE YEAR, not just the 3 months she was actually in Oregon.
                          Mr. T., are you sure?

I'm no tax expert, but I'm under the impression that, although you get place in the tax bracket for your entire salary over the year, each state gives a tax credit for taxes paid elsewhere.

That is, if you're taxed in Texas for the money you make there, you don't get taxed for it in Oregon, and if you're taxed in Oregon for the money you make there, you don't get taxed in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                            What is this doing taxes thingie? I'm asking seriously.
                            In the U.S., every April 15th (okay, this year it's the 17th), U.S. citizens have to report their incomes from the previous calendar year.

Most people have had a portion of their salaries already withheld as taxes. Once we figure out how much we should actually pay, some of us end up owing still more money; most end up being owed a partial refund from the government.

Comment

We did ours a month or so ago. We took a beating because we forgot to change our deductions after we got married and were claiming too many, so not enough was withheld during the year. We owed ~$4500. Bah.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Most people have had a portion of their salaries already withheld as taxes. Once we figure out how much we should actually pay, some of us end up owing still more money; most end up being owed a partial refund from the government.

The government returning money... What an interesting concept.
                                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Working...
                                X