Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to help those who are making life altering mistakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think anyone can be helped except those who want help.

My father is an alcoholic. As a child, we had three interventions with him over the course of several years to try to get him to realize that he needed help. They all failed.

But once he had a massive stroke, putting him in the ICU for two weeks on the vent (so close to death that my family pulled me out of school in the middle of the day a few days into the ordeal because the doctors thought this was it), then he was willing to listen, then he wanted help.

He hasn't had any alcohol since, almost 15 years ago now. But we couldn't do anything to help, until he wanted it.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Re: What is the best way to help those who are making life altering mistakes?

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
      I have a very dark and painful past. Very painful. Also dishonorable, despictable, almost unforgiveable. Abuse, physical and emotional. Substance abuse. Disrespectful,antisocial and disruptive behavior. Some self inflicted most not.
      What happened? Picked your nose in a public place?
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
        I don't think anyone can be helped except those who want help.
        I agree, until a person see's it as a problem, in their mind, most times it isnt

My father is an alcoholic. As a child, we had three interventions with him over the course of several years to try to get him to realize that he needed help. They all failed.

But once he had a massive stroke, putting him in the ICU for two weeks on the vent (so close to death that my family pulled me out of school in the middle of the day a few days into the ordeal because the doctors thought this was it), then he was willing to listen, then he wanted help.

He hasn't had any alcohol since, almost 15 years ago now. But we couldn't do anything to help, until he wanted it.
        Glad he had his family for strength, just a short byline, it was those who truly tried to help, not beat me down, but help, that offered hope during times of dispair. I clung to those hopes which eventually assisted in getting to the point where I am today, functioning in society. Most folks who have gone through substance abuse tell you, it is never over, it is one day at a time.

Gramps
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Re: Re: What is the best way to help those who are making life altering mistakes?

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

What happened? Picked your nose in a public place?
          Yeah, thats what happened

Comment

Well it did sounds a rather melodramatic post from what I could tell...and a very vague question...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              Well it did sounds a rather melodramatic post from what I could tell...and a very vague question...
              How so kind sir?

Comment

I meant "C" too, for the same reason. Peepers not peeping perhaps.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: What is the best way to help those who are making life altering mistakes?

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                  I have a very dark and painful past. Very painful. Also dishonorable, despictable, almost unforgiveable.
                  I'm glad you put the "almost" before the "unforgiveable."

You've posted stuff about your past before & I gotta be honest: I've I'd have known Kid Troll, I'd have avoided him like the plague. But you've really turned yourself around, & now I'm proud to include Grandpa Troll among my list of friends.

Comment

Re: Re: What is the best way to help those who are making life altering mistakes?

Originally posted by Zkribbler

I'm glad you put the "almost" before the "unforgiveable."

You've posted stuff about your past before & I gotta be honest: I've I'd have known Kid Troll, I'd have avoided him like the plague. But you've really turned yourself around, & now I'm proud to include Grandpa Troll among my list of friends.
                    Thanks

The parts on the list that were done to me of course were not my choosing, but the results of what i went through were most assuredly my poor responses to previous experiences.

But, life does go on, and one might say we are "all aboard" and where the train takes us in many respects is dictated by how we approach what comes down the track.

and off i go

Comment

I said A and C.

Choose one point to make in mode A. Probably something that one can't easily dance around anyway, but probably not the most critical point. It's an attention-getter.

Then soften the approach for what may be the most critical points, where tact may be of more value than the advice itself.

The real problem with giving advice is that it is rarely something the person hasn't heard before. You're just adding yourself to the long list of "people who say I should [not] do this or that."
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

best way is to never let anyone forget they are making poor decisions and be apathetic when those poor decisions come back to bite them in the ass.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Best is probably C, though I can't help myself hammering it home in the B manner.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

the fear of alienating someone especially a teenager is laughable. the net effect of alienating a teen a little bit more than they already are is miniscule.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                              The real problem with giving advice is that it is rarely something the person hasn't heard before. You're just adding yourself to the long list of "people who say I should [not] do this or that."
                              Word. Also probable is that you're telling something the persons already realises on its own. In that case space is what's most called for.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                              X