No announcement yet.

Would you make yourself ill over this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you make yourself ill over this?

Wednesday morning i made a huge mistake at work. To say it simply, i deleted the user accounts of roughly 400 users, many of them Directors, some VPs and the President and CEO of a big company.

I spent the rest of the week coordinating the recreation of the user accounts, with the access that they previously had and notifying them that this had been done and that their password had been reset (no choice) and that they could contact me directly for help.

All through this i was a nervous wreck. I physically felt the pressure and the strain, and it was obvious to my co-workers too. I felt dizzy a couple of times on Wednesday, and i had chest pains. One of my co-workers tried to alleviate my tension by making a joke - which i ignored, trying to stay focused - at which point she said she was worried about me, that i was pale as a ghost and that she wanted to slap me to snap me out of it, and put some color back in my face.

Things are almost back to normal now, and there will definitely be a postmortem soon, to review what happened and why and how. I have been given no indications about possibility of sanctions. In fact it is pretty much business as usual at work. They're even sending me out of town next week to support a new call center being implemented. (And no: i don't think one has to do with the other ).

As i write this i am still stressed out (maybe because we haven't had the postmortem yet) and i've cancelled a visit to a friend. I just don't feel up to it. But i put that pressure on myself. My boss was a bit angry at first, but then only focused and determined to get through this. All my co-workers were of great help. I even refused some help because i wanted to correct things myself and i was too "involved" to let anyone else in. Even if it was to help. I blamed myself and I was going to make this right.

There are a few things about this that i'd like to ramble about and get some opinions on.

The first one is: I am amazed at the hurt that i inflicted on myself because of this. These were only user accounts; access to an IT system. No life and death situation here. It was an inconvenience to most of the users, a pain in the neck for some and a problem for a few. And yet i nearly drove myself to a heart attack over this.

Which brings me to my second point: It seems obvious that my value system is skewed. ****ed up probably describes it better actually. How can I give enough importance to this as to put my life in danger. How can i put such value on being good at what i do, not making mistakes, taking the blame for my mistakes, you know: being "a man ", that i would endanger my life for it.

It just seems so pointless. Silly in fact.

Comments?
    What?

Imagine if it happened at Poly
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

*clutches chest*

aaaaaaarghhhhhh!
      What?

Comment

i would be the exact same way.

Comment

I see how you could feel bad about such a thing.

You're worried because of possible lost profit, and because of possible angry bosses.

I think your boss did a good job not being a c*nt and trying to stay out of your way as long as you fix it.

Were he a great boss, he would have invited you for a talk later that day, and said something like "hey, take it easy. it's a stupid mistake, everyone makes mistakes Here, drink this coffee and don't worry about it. I'm sure you're stressed out as it is, and I'm confident you'll do everything to put things back to normal in no time".

I think that its obviously worrisome when you jeopardize (even in your eyes only) your career and place of work. After all you could fear getting fired, losing your home, your wife, and living alone on the street. .... well maybe not

But its obviously a drag.

You shouldn't have canceled the hang out with your friends. What you need right now is a cold beer and the opportunity to speak out to your friends and laugh about it.

Comment

Would you make yourself ill over this? Lets see...

You not only dishonored yourself, you brought dishonor to your family, your friends and to your people. The day you made that mistake is a day which will live in infamy. I'm sorry to say this, my friend, but there's only one way to redeem yourself at this point... The only honorable thing to do right now is to commit sepuku.

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

@ nostromo
              What?

Comment

Originally posted by b etor
                i would be the exact same way.
                In your case it would result in some perv having his way with kids, so i can understand you feeling so strongly about it.
                What?

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu

In your case it would result in some perv having his way with kids, so i can understand you feeling so strongly about it.
                  what are you talking about!?

Comment

If you screwed up at your job, some perv would keep on having his way with kids. What's so hard to get?
                    What?

Comment

As Sirotnikov says, you need a cold beer and a bit relaxing.

When doing something, **** might happen, when doing nothing **** certainly will happen.

If it can comfort you a bit - once one of my colleagues stood in /etc as root and made an "rm -r" - it took a bit before that maschine acted sane again

At least you have "proven" that your company needs to revise their routines/backup strategies
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

If you screwed up at your job, some perv would keep on having his way with kids. What's so hard to get?
                        oh. i forgot. i'm an FBIer.

Comment

It was really bad leadership on their part not to punish shortly after it happened. The exception would be if they were going to fire you, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
                          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Re: Would you make yourself ill over this?

Comments?
                            Work isn't worth killing yourself over.

Take some time out to enjoy yourself.

Cemeteries are full of people who thought they were indispensable- and yet still the world turns.

Sun, sand, beaches, trees, walks in the country- whatever helps.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

give someone a good pounding. that'll make you feel better.

Comment

Working...
                              X