• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USN cancels Lil Crappy Ship #3

The source for all things Navy

Navy Terminates Littoral Combat Ship 3
    Story Number: NNS070413-06
    Release Date: 4/13/2007 12:28:00 PM
    Top News Story - Editors should consider using these stories first in local publications.

From the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense Public Affairs

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Secretary of the Navy Donald C. Winter announced April 12 that the Department of the Navy is terminating construction of the third Littoral Combat Ship (LCS 3) for convenience under the termination clause of the contract because the Navy and Lockheed Martin could not reach agreement on the terms of a modified contract.

The Navy issued a stop-work order on construction on LCS 3 in January following a series of cost overruns on LCS 1 and projection of cost increases on LCS 3, which are being built by Lockheed Martin under a cost-plus contract.

The Navy announced in March that it would consider lifting the stop-work order on LCS 3 if the Navy and Lockheed Martin could agree on the terms for a fixed price incentive agreement by mid-April. The Navy worked closely with Lockheed Martin to try to restructure the agreement for LCS 3 to more equitably balance cost and risk, but could not come to terms and conditions that were acceptable to both parties.

The Navy remains committed to completing construction on LCS 1 under the current contract with Lockheed Martin. LCS 2 and 4 are under contract with General Dynamics, and the Navy will monitor their cost performance closely. The Navy intends to continue with the plan to assess costs and capabilities of LCS 1 and LCS 2 and transition to a single seaframe configuration in fiscal year 2010 after an operational assessment and considering all relevant factors. General Dynamics’ ships will continue on a cost-plus basis as long as its costs remain defined and manageable. If the cost performance becomes unacceptable, then General Dynamics will be subject to similar restructuring requirements.

“LCS continues to be a critical warfighting requirement for our Navy to maintain dominance in the littorals and strategic choke points around the world,” said Winter. “While this is a difficult decision, we recognize that active oversight and strict cost controls in the early years are necessary to ensuring we can deliver these ships to the fleet over the long term.”

For more news from around the fleet, visit www.navy.mil.
    Trust Lockheed to cause massive cost overruns.

Anywho, at the point that the costs were at, two LCS's would have cost as much as one Arleigh Burke DDG, and neither one had the kind of firepower a DDG provides. Both of them wouldn't have the kind of fire power a DDG provides.

Hopefully this will get us some more DDGs(I have a feeling that the DDG-1000 program is gonna crash and burn)
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

What do they do?

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

LCS's? absolutely nothing. It's a Frigate.

DDGs have a better Air Search(that can double as surface), a larger gun, better SIGINT and ELINT capabilities, and can carry missiles(which the LCS can't, besides one RAM launcher for air defense)
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Littoral.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Cost-plus contract?? The more you spend, the more profit you make.

When will the government ever learn??

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
            Littoral.
            clittoral LOL
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Is Lonestar in the Navy? Has he actually been on an LCS, perhaps in combat? If not...
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

He used to be in the navy, so was I. Though I was on big ships, he was on smaller ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                  Is Lonestar in the Navy? Has he actually been on an LCS, perhaps in combat? If not...
                  Arrrr Matey!

Now I'm a damn dirty contractor myself, however...

Comment

How in hell did you get to wear a beard?

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Those cost plus contracts are all pretty much bull**** and in the real world, I.E. the non-government business world, everyone does firm fixed price. That means they state a price and are required to deliver at that price. Cost plus is just an incentive to run up costs as that increases profits.

That said as a contractor who frequently works for the military cost plus contracts are nice. There's absolutely no pressure to work and as long as our productivity is ever so slightly higher then worthless government employees we'll always keep these contracts. This is what I've noticed in the contracting business if the client is a business then you end up really working every hour you bill because they're so cost conscience where as on a government contract you surf the net for 30 minutes, work for 20 minutes, then listen to then equivocate and try to change the scope of work for another 10 minutes.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

ACK!
                        He's really a pirate...

YARRR
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          Those cost plus contracts are all pretty much bull**** and in the real world, I.E. the non-government business world, everyone does firm fixed price. That means they state a price and are required to deliver at that price. Cost plus is just an incentive to run up costs as that increases profits.

Not really. Most contracts include terms for changes initiated by either side. The biggest difference is that most commercial jobs have incentives for early completion and penalties for late (as modified by change orders). Cost-plus removes both (more or less).
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

ACK!
                            No-shave chit during deployment. The Hairiest I've ever been was in the Navy.

Comment

No shave chits
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X