Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a mean, cruel person because when I eat baby carrots, I dip them in peanut butter.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Hufu
      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom

Oysters.

Venison.

Barramundi.

Not the stinking corpse lily, though. That smells.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordShiva

Fish
          fish

but they smell.
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

• BTW, has anyone mentioned the climate change impact of the beef industry?

Last edited by lord of the mark; April 13, 2007, 15:17.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• arbitrary and societal assignment of purpose of animal's life.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• verbs
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson

fish

but they smell.
                  Not when it's fresh, man!
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• perhaps, but I mostly mean my tuna cans. OK, I can eat it, but try to leave the dish unwashed for even a short time, or try to put the can into garbage in the same room You live, and You'll know the pain.
                    Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom

I like a big sausage.
                      in the Eric Cartman - pioneered way of eating, right?
                      Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris

Jon said that livestock consumed much more food (and energy) than they give. I'm pretty certain that he implied what I tried to show in detail.
                        You didn't show anything. You asked a question and acted like an ass about it. I gave you a chance to clarify and you acted more like a jerk. Frankly, I don't remember talking to you about anything before this. Did I insult you in some other thread to warrant that behavior?

As for Jon's statement. I didn't disagree that livestock consumed more food and energy. That wasn't where the disconnect was. I assumed that Jon was making an ecumenical argument based on his wording. When it did become clear that he was refering specifically to human food consumption and population growth, I realized that his energy efficiency argument was justified, even if impractical. So I didn't continue with my argument. That's when you showed up, and not seeing what was going on, you made a decision to be a jerk about it.

In any case, I gave you the chance to realize this with an open rhetorical question, and you missed it. Even if you assume that Jon didn't mean the same as I did, your reply to me was just off.
                        Don't bs. You didn't give me any chance. You just wanted to stroke your ego. If you were giving me a chance, you would have answered my question to clarify your meaning since there were two different arguments unintentially going on.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Eat any newborn babies lately?
                          I'm not convinced that's such a terrible thing. The question as to whether or not they're sentient enough to warrant being protected by the state as a person IMO is pretty ambiguous, and therefore I'd (and think the state should) err towards life (and against sating my ravenous newborn cravings...).
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                            verbs
                            not possible
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Going back to aneeshm dumb ass comment about chicken eggs... Why is it disgusting to eat the female gamete of a chicken but eating the sexual organs or zygotes of plants is ok? It's the same ****ing thing.

This strikes me as someone attempting to justify their personal bias rather then using any sort of sound reasoning.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Spec.
                                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X