Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the Republican candidate(s) for the 2008 election?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    Agreed.

I think McCain was far more doomed by the fact that Guiliani, who is also known for being electable with indeps and moderates (due to being Teh 9/11 Mayor) entered the race.

Though maybe they'll both be out once Guils' positions on abortion (and public funding of abortions, at least 15 years ago at any rate!!) and gay rights are better known by the base.
    Doubtful. I think the base already knows G is a gay loving baby killer.

They're kewl wit dat as long as he isn't black or his last name Clinton.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
      Did you see George Will's savaging of Thompson in his column recently? He lit into him for being a do-nothing senator who found the work of the Senate boring and never had to win a sharply contested election. I don't know how much GOP sentiment Will represents, but if a gOP stalwart like Will is attacking him already, he's sure to have a tough time once real opponents have at him.

Out of pure curiosity: when you mentioned governors, did you leave Tommy Thompson out on purpose?
      I think it would be a mistake to overvalue the contribution of folks like George Will, but perhaps he could reinforce the received wisdom. Folks like that tend to craft their own opinions, but are not opinion-makers.

Re Tommy Thompson, I left him out because he has already announced, while the other two former governors have not yet announced. But while we're at it, I wonder what is his constituency. I guess that's the deal with most of the GOP candidates so far this cycle. We'll have to see what constituencies these candidates go after, and whether they can build the coalitions of voters necessary to win the primary and the presidency.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Did you see George Will's savaging of Thompson in his column recently? He lit into him for being a do-nothing senator who found the work of the Senate boring and never had to win a sharply contested election. I don't know how much GOP sentiment Will represents, but if a gOP stalwart like Will is attacking him already, he's sure to have a tough time once real opponents have at him.
        Thompson may be moot, since he has cancer and that will occupy his attention for a while.

Will may just be acting as a spearcarrier for someone more establishment, but I can't fault Fred for finding the work of the Senate boring.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
          Doubtful. I think the base already knows G is a gay loving baby killer.

They're kewl wit dat as long as he isn't black or his last name Clinton.
          He's a gay loving baby killer, but what might sink him is that he left his wife while she was suffering through illness and that he's on his 3rd marriage.

Interesting what people will loose and what they will hold bound. Several of the candidates might fall foul of these mores, much to their surprise.
          Last edited by DanS; April 11, 2007, 12:33.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I actually think that Tommy's the biggest mystery in the race. He's a popular former Governor of a swing state, has national security experience at the DHS, has solid conservative credentials, and yet he gets practically no traction. Pretty bizarre...
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Saw the speech...most people here liked it.

I'd still vote for Huckabee probably.
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Thompson may be moot, since he has cancer and that will occupy his attention for a while.

Will may just be acting as a spearcarrier for someone more establishment, but I can't fault Fred for finding the work of the Senate boring.
                My vague impression is that Will is on the Giuliani bandwagon.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                  I actually think that Tommy's the biggest mystery in the race. He's a popular former Governor of a swing state, has national security experience at the DHS, has solid conservative credentials, and yet he gets practically no traction. Pretty bizarre...
                  Tommy was at HHS, not DHS; that was Tom Ridge, another former governor.

Tommy's the ideal candidate for voters who were drawn to Bush's compassionate conservative schtick last time, because he's the real deal: a governor who embraced socia programs but ran them like a Republican. I just don't know if there's a GOP audience who cares about that right now.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The GOP all want to dress in black uniforms and do goose steps.

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'd vote for Tommy Thompson. As Rufus said, he seems to be an actual "compassionate conservative", but moderates don't seem to be in vogue anymore .
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So we can deduce that the GOP is basically screwed for the next elections?

Comment

I know people who are happy to goose step.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

When are the party nominations due? End of this year isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                              So we can deduce that the GOP is basically screwed for the next elections?
                              Not really, considering how incompetent the Dems have been in the last two elections.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X