Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the Republican candidate(s) for the 2008 election?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be the Republican candidate(s) for the 2008 election?

Einst war er Favorit für das US-Präsidentenamt. Aus und vorbei - jetzt ist der republikanische Senator John McCain weit abgeschlagen. Sein Flankenschutz für Bushs Kriegspolitik kostet ihn Stimmen und Spenden. Tiefpunkt: ein Besuch in Bagdad, der zum peinlichen PR-Flop wurde.

He was once a favourite for US presidency. All over - now senator John McCain of the Republicans is far behind. His support for the Iraq policy of Bush has cost him votes and donations. Low point: a Baghdad visit that turned out to be a PR desaster.

This article says that McCain is now almost out of the race. So there's Guiliani ahead of him and, in terms of fundraising, some outsider called Mitt Romney.

Wiki has a list of all possible Republican candidates. Who do you think will make it? Who will be their running mate? What are their chances to win the election given the current apparent upswing for the Dems?

I'm not making this into a poll because there's too many guys and I only know Guiliani. Discuss.

I think that Guiliani would be a disaster if elected, and I can't see large groups of Republicans voting for him without being extremely hypocritial.

Of course, that hasn't stopped them in the past...

Mitt Romney could be OK, he is a governor afterall. Remember that Bush and Clinton weren't well known several years before the election. Right now funding is really the issue, not popularity.

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Besides which you prefer, do you think he has chances inside of his party?

Comment

I am not sure if McCain is really out of the race. His speech tomorrow is getting quite a bit of coverage. It might swing momentum.

Kinda fun that he is going to my school to give it tomorrow and I get to watch.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
          Besides which you prefer, do you think he has chances inside of his party?
          I can't see large groups of Republicans voting for him (Guiliani) without being extremely hypocritial.

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Rudy Guiliani the only one who can beat Hillary unless she implodes.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I can imagine Hillary hitting scandal after scandal.
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Really? I can't see how the Right can vote for him without being extremely hypocritical. I mean, I can see how they can do thing while being lied to... but this would be different. This would be taking it with eyes wide open.

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Giuliani is lucky that 9/11 happened on his watch. Pre-9/11, he was destined for obscurity.

It should be interesting to see how much dirt will surface if he makes it past the Repub primaries - which will be tough, since the social conservatives in the party are a lot more dominant in the primary process. You can't win with "Reagan Democrats" if you can't pull in much hard-line Republican support.

McCain probably can't appease conservatives enough to make up for the cross-over votes he won't get due to his support for the war and the way Bush has handled it.

I don't think Hillary is electible nationally - there is already too much hard perception against her, and she's too well known to really make much of an impact on the commited "can't stand her" crowd.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I am amazed that the governor of Massachusetts, whose dad was Governor of Michigan, and one time GOP front runner for President in 1968, is somehow an "outsider".
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                      McCain probably can't appease conservatives enough to make up for the cross-over votes he won't get due to his support for the war and the way Bush has handled it.
                      except he hasnt supported the way Bush handled it. In particular he was calling for Rummys resignation as far back as 2004, IIUC.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        Really? I can't see how the Right can vote for him without being extremely hypocritical. I mean, I can see how they can do thing while being lied to... but this would be different. This would be taking it with eyes wide open.

Jon Miller
                        Kinda the way the left took Clinton in 1992, despite his support for free trade, for the first Gulf War, and his "sista souljah" thingie?

When youre desperate to win, you get all pragmatic all of a sudden.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                          I can imagine Hillary hitting scandal after scandal.
                          That'll be the key to her keeping the left, as she shifts back to the center on policy after the convention.

Comment

37 views and 12 replies. I've really hit a nerve.

Comment

Some of us wonder how anyone can currently vote for a Republican. But than we look at our fellow Americans, and know that it is possible. As such, we are worried about who will be coming from that direction.

I think Mitt Romney isn't all that bad, from what little I know. And if McCain hadn't sold out, I would have thought the same about him.

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X