So.. SoCal it'll be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So.. SoCal it'll be

Any recommendations? I figure that's the best options for me. The east coast is too intensive for my soul. I need sun and I really mean it.

But I figure there are regional differencies. I'm not looking into living in a dump, so I need to have a place where the house prices are moderate but the region is still vibrant and close to stuff. I figure my pitch for a house, the real pitch could be closer to.. 500k to 800k. So, what ever gets me the most with that should be fine. How much beach houses are? I guess you can't get anything with less than a million, and that's a bit too much I figure.

I think in 5 years I'll be able to do my initial move, because the PhD will be happening for me in 2010, so hopefully within that timeframe I have it plus at least one year in China doing research (IT security, possibly useful to high end general security) and consultation for Finnish SMEs. I might have done few good security gigs as well outside China in Europe. So then to 2010. I figure my business is already up by then and running with few customers, if not, it doesn't matter, because then I'll have to look for a job, most likely consulting with in high expert level, so I can do that in SoCal for starters and set up my business there if it didn't pick up in here by that time.

Any regional recommendations? I'm looking to score good price but definitely upper middle class in a safe neighbourhood with lots of activities and fun around.

My other options is Canada, but right now, SoCal is what I'm looking at seriously.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Pekka,

Redondo Beach, Los Angelas, Cali! I grew up there...

piece
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Cool stuff

I'm also not looking to pay over what is needed, any areas where the property values are likely to go up are of interest to me, so all the growing areas are of most interest. But with long term evaluation, as most likely it'll be in 2012 or so.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I shall have to "teach" you about some western culture as well Pekka. it will be quite a culture shock at first i guarentee...

also it never hurts to start looking now whether online or through an agent of some kind... just to see what you are dealing with at least...
        piece
        Order of the Fly

Comment

I second the Redondo Beach option

especially since ISI (www.isi.org) is nearby in Marina del Rey. Of course, Marina del Rey or Playa del Rey would be pretty happening and might offer less expensive options. The only thing is that Marina del Rey and Playa del Rey are really geared for single adults and not marrieds with small kids.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
            Pekka,

Redondo Beach, Los Angelas, Cali! I grew up there...

piece
            Did'nt Tracy Lords grow up there as well?
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang

Did'nt Tracy Lords grow up there as well?
              indeed she did
              Order of the Fly

Comment

Marina Del Ray, definitely a good location (checked it from the map).. one place I liked was Santa Monica as well. But of course, what I really need is the inside loop, pros and cons, prices, expected values etc.
                In da butt.

Comment

You could get a room at Oerdin's place and not have to pay rent until he posts a thread about his new "dirtbag tenet [sic]"
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

true... "I'm embarrased to kick him out, I mean he is the supercitizen. How do you kick out the supercitizen and feel like you made the right decision? And if I keep him around.. he is a bum. He eats my food, farts into my sofa and probably masturbates in my bathroom."
                    In da butt.

Comment

Live in Pacific Beach in San Diego. You have sun, you have sand, you have a population made up entirely of 18-26 year old college students who are disproportionately female. The night life is also good and you're near to Mission bay, La Jolla, and downtown.

There are three nearby schools which have PHD programs and they are the University of California San Diego, San Diego State university, and the University of San Diego. The first two are public universities while the last is a private (and therefor more expensive) school. The economy is great and unemployment is currently 3.8% so finding a good paying job shouldn't be difficult.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'd advice staying away from LA as it sucks. You'll also want to be near the ocean as that is THE place to be in SoCal. Check out Santa Barbara County, the coastal part of Ventura County, Orange County, or San Diego County. Avoid Los Angles and the inland counties.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No no, I'm getting my PhD here. It's free and I already sort of have a place ready . Wouldn't mind spending 6 months to 12 months in there during that though.. maybe I'll attach myself to some research in there and haul my ass there to study for one year or less. My plan is to get my PhD out in 3 years, it's a hard job, but I'm used to do stuff fast, because I have a plan and a dream so.. the time I'm not working for it, the longer I'll have to wait. I'd rather not wait. Anyway, I have two places I want to tour during the PhD time, that is SoCal or SF and China. China is priority #1 for me, so if I have time and opportunity, then I'll get there as well. Possibly one EU country, but that is only if this hot deal comes through.

Anyway, no plans about going to LA!! It sucks man.. it's not even a real city . But places near LA are awesome. And no inland, close to ocean is a must. I figure areas close to LA within the ocean front, the value is not exactly going down no matter how far we want to go in the future, until the earthquakes start to sink the place ..

So that, the only other attraction to me is SF because of its industry, but the business I'm in, it really doesn't matter, I don't need to be close to Silicon Valley.
                          In da butt.

Comment

<-------learned my "game" in San Jose, Silicone Valley...
                            very diverse place, awesome!
                            Order of the Fly

Comment

It's kind of weird, I think 800k will give me a nice place. I mean I look at these random places online, 1 million seems to be the limit of very nice with all kinds of stuff, but I figure some of these quickly found real estate dealers aren't the hottest, plus there must be air in their prices, so I figure I can get the same, just having a really good agent and putting in the time.

It's amazing because some of these places aren't definitely worth the price they're asking for, in 800k range you still have lots of very very ordinary, but not in the hottest area even. I don't know what the hell they're thinking.

But then just look more and you'll fidn much better deals. Houses with LOTS of room, great views, kind of contemporary style mixed up with that terra cotta roof and white stone walls. With big yards, green and ****, with definitely nice pools and BBQ areas, little bar area there.. I mean that's nice .

It's kind of funny, since for example the general price range in here is about the same and/or more expensive. Then again, we're always getting ripped off
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X