Unintentional cleverness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unintentional cleverness

In the latest issue of Time magazine, there's an article entitled "The Hungry American". It deals with the phenomenon of hamburger and chicken fast food joints (an American invention) having been exported to the rest of the world, which then created its own versions of the same thing and which has now proceeded to export these versions back into the US.

The author claims that these establishments reflect how the est of the world sees the United States, though Americans might find them slightly over-the-top. Discussing Jollibee, a Filipino chicken-and-burger chain, the author has this to say:

Jollibee [...] makes McDonald's look like a funeral parlor. Its mascot is a jolly bee and the restaurants are all blindingly happy [...] Even if you gave Walt Disney all the ecstasy in the world, he would not have come up with this. [...] the inflated, happy fakeness of Jollibee makes you feel that the only American its Filipino owners have ever seen is Pamela Anderson

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I need a foot massage

Comment

It seems I need basic lessons in North American culture because I don't find that one example posted by LH remotely funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
          It seems I need basic lessons in North American culture because I don't find that one example posted by LH remotely funny.
          To PhD it for you, Pamela Anderson is an individual often brought up (as it was in this case) as an example of "American fake sexuality" (bleached hair, breast implants etc). The joke here is that Pam Anderson is actually a Canadian who moved to the US. She's a reimportation of that fake sexuality. The author has unintentionally provided another example of the process he is describing, and it is amusing.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
            You need to better understand Western culture
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

KH - understood. Ha ha. somewhat.

LS - go crap on the street out your door you brown people.

Comment

That bee is SCARY. Especially the big close-up of its face, with those vacant, smiling eyes. "Big Brother Bee is watching you." On the other hand, the real face of a bee is pretty scary too. Five eyes, and two of them compound. I wonder which is scarier?

I didn't get it when KH first posted it, not knowing anything about Pamela Anderson. I still only find it mildly funny, perhaps because Canada is pretty much America anyway. "America, only lamer and colder," that's Canada.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

French Canada has a personality, the rest might as well be the USA
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

I could imagine the Jollibee character being described in a Phillip K Dick novel,
                    representing a nightmarish, fascist big-brother symbol of corporate dystopia...!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Elok thought the same thing - Incredible!
                      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I could imagine him replacing ceiling cat

I need a foot massage

Comment

Great minds think alike, Curt.

EDIT: Holy crap, look at the wikipedia entry for "Jollibee." They serve such items as "chickenjoy" and "yumburger." I guess it's not 1984 so much as Brave New World. Remember, kids: "a gram (of chickenjoy) is better than a damn!" Jollibee has been harvesting soma from bright and cheery snuggleflowers all day to keep you little folk in line. You don't want to disappoint Jollibee, do you? Of course you don't. People who disappoint Jollibee wind up in the pain chamber.
                          Last edited by Elok; April 3, 2007, 12:06.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                            I could imagine him replacing ceiling cat

lol brachy's a theef LOL
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

A thief?
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X