This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    Lord Shiva is correct. Only the English would think that referring to residents of the sub-continent as "Asian" makes any sense at all...
    Argh, this sort of thing drives me crazy. I was once emailed by a TV producer asking if I knew any 'Asians' who would be interested in taking part in a show about gadgets. I said, sure - I'm ethnically Chinese, I'd love to take part.

Uh, no, she replied, I meant people from the Indian subcontinent. Arrghhh! And of course she herself was Indian. Why do they get to claim the entire Asian landmass, and everyone in 'east' Asia has to make do with their own names? Her reason was that it's actually BBC policy to call everyone from the Indian subcontinent 'Asian'. I suspect this is because they're worried about pissing off the Indians/Bangladeshis/Pakistanis in case they mention one, but not any of the others, in any collective context (and of course the other guys would be annoyed if it was called the *Indian* subcontinent). Never mind the rest of the Asia! Idiots...
    mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

• Pakis and Bengalis are Indians in denial.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• One last time. P*ki is an off-limits word in Britain, considered just as bad and racially offensive as N*****.

It is used by racists to abuse all people from the subcontinent, Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi or Sri Lankan.

End of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus
          One last time. P*ki is an off-limits word in Britain, considered just as bad and racially offensive as N*****.

It is used by racists to abuse all people from the subcontinent, Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi or Sri Lankan.

End of.
          In India, it simply means someone from Pakistan.

Comment

• Take it to another thread.

Indian babes.
            Pakistani babes.

Babes.

Comment

• In India, it simply means someone from Pakistan.

I think it's the same everywhere but England, but of course we're expected to change the way we speak just because England's rather sizeable population of racist idiots is so stupid as to us a shortened form of "Pakistani" to refer to all people from the Indian subcontinent...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
              X