Woman sued for smoking in own garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman sued for smoking in own garden

C'mon. I'm not a big fan of smoking or smokers, but this is just stupid...

Published: 9th March 2007 11:41 CET
    Online: http://www.thelocal.se/6642/

A lawyer from Ã…karp in southern Sweden has sued his neighbour for smoking in her own back garden. He has requested her to pay 15,000 kronor ($2,083) to compensate for his suffering, along with an additional 2,000 kronor each time she lights a new cigarette.

The woman, a 49-year-old single mother, is worried that the feud with her neighbour may lead to expensive court proceedings, Aftonbladet reports.

"It makes me sad and angry. Should somebody else be able to control my life?" she asked.

The dispute began last year, when the woman received a decidedly unneighbourly letter from the lawyer next door.

"The only way we can get in and out of our house is by passing the path that faces your house. As such, we can no longer accept you poisoning our existence with your disgusting and unhealthy tobacco smoke," the lawyer wrote.

The woman's neighbour then upped the ante further by hiring the services of a solicitor. A subsequent letter, penned by the solicitor, explained that the lawyer had not been able to open the windows to air his house for two years "because of the frequent odours emanating from your garden".

After the second letter, the woman received a summons from the district court.

In order to avoid confrontation with her neighbour she now has her regular smoke at a spot located seven metres away from the lawyer's property.

"Before I would have my morning smoke near the lawyer's hedge. I would go there to enjoy the morning sun," she told Aftonbladet.

She maintains that she has done more than enough to avoid disturbing the lawyer.

"It's not against the law to smoke outdoors. But my neighbour has clearly decided that I shouldn't be able to smoke at all," she said.
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

You people are nuts.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

this will surely be laughed out of court.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        You people are nuts.
        Anti-smoking hysteria is bad in America too. People are going nuts in the Chicago area. It's not just about smoking anymore. There are letters to the editor showing up in the newspaper about people wanting to ban alcohol in public places.

I'm telling you guys... nanny state.

Give them an inch, and they'll keep going. Pretty soon it's going to be like in Demolition Man.

I DONT WANT EVERY RESTAURANT TO BE A TACO BELL
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This is funny.

On the other hand, I have had neighbors in my building who have smoked so much, my apartment was almost unbearable to be in at times.

I looked at it as being unneighborly, but if the science on second-hand smoke bears out, it may have been an unlawful intrusion.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Smoking in apartments are far worse than smoking in your backyard. It doesn't take much for the smoke to seep into your apartment. But another house across a lawn in the open air?? Either this woman is the biggest chain smoker in history or the scumbag lawyer is the most tobacco sensitive person this country has ever seen...

Comment

She even accomodated him by moving where she smoked. I'd go back to the old place after this drek.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

Give them an inch, and they'll keep going. Pretty soon it's going to be like in Demolition Man.

I DONT WANT EVERY RESTAURANT TO BE A TACO BELL

Armour hot dogs
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

"
                  "The only way we can get in and out of our house is by passing the path that faces your house. As such, we can no longer accept you poisoning our existence with your disgusting and unhealthy tobacco smoke," the lawyer wrote."

Counter sue. As such, we can no longer accept your idiot stupid jerk existence and your disgusting, ugly, fat body of yours and your unhealthy way of just being alive. We hate you and your life is unacceptable to us. As such, we have to request your death.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Smoking

Anti-smoking crusades
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Wow, I mean generally I'm angry about our weak (i.e. not existing) anti-smoking laws here in Austria, regarding public places and pubs, but that's just stupid.
                      If the lawyer has a problem with airing his house he could politely knock on the neighbor's door one day and have a look how things can be resolved without activating the justice system, wasting money.
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka

Counter sue. As such, we can no longer accept your idiot stupid jerk existence and your disgusting, ugly, fat body of yours and your unhealthy way of just being alive. We hate you and your life is unacceptable to us. As such, we have to request your death.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                          Wow, I mean generally I'm angry about our weak (i.e. not existing) anti-smoking laws here in Austria, regarding public places and pubs, but that's just stupid.
                          If the lawyer has a problem with airing his house he could politely knock on the neighbor's door one day and have a look how things can be resolved without activating the justice system, wasting money.
                          QFT

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
                            Smoking in apartments are far worse than smoking in your backyard. It doesn't take much for the smoke to seep into your apartment. But another house across a lawn in the open air?? Either this woman is the biggest chain smoker in history or the scumbag lawyer is the most tobacco sensitive person this country has ever seen...
                            After my experience, I could imagine a case where it would be an intrusion in a back yard as well.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid

Armour hot dogs
                              We need a smiley that is committing suicide... like shooting himself in the head.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X