No announcement yet.

Pick Your Poison...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure why Hitler is getting an easy ride- the orders for the invasions of Poland and Russia were quite direct- intelligentsia, army officers, clergy, government officials, even members of things such as Scout organisations were to be murdered so as to get rid of anyone capable of organising resistance.

During the opening campaign in the West, members of 4 Company Totenkopf Division under Fritz Knocklein murdered captured soldiers of the Norfolk Regiment in what became known as the 'Paradis Massacre'.

This is before the infamous Commando Order which also allowed the summary execution of captured Allied uniformed soldiers and of course the Kommissar Order which I've already mentioned.

129 American soldiers were also murdered near St. Vith in Belgium on 17th December 1944.

Oradour sur Glane, Marzabotto, Lidice, Babi Yar- please let's not be nice to the Nazis.
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Er, you need to make difference between branches of german military, plus the various para-military thuggeries the nazis had, and even different divisions/groups. Also, while the higher ups issued all sorts of directives, not all of them were summarily put into action by all of the actuall field commanders. I seem to recall Rommel being somewhat clean in this regard.

Also, you're acting as if some of us are claiming being captured by the Third Reich would be pleasant experience, if you are a soldier of any enemy nation. I'm sure it wasn't, were you pole, brit or french.

Of course, for those of us, whose nations were allies, co-belligerents or even neutral, we'd not expect to even end up in a POW-camp, even if our features were less than aryan... Thus, decision between soviet and german capture is a no-brainer, dunno about them chicoms...
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
        Er, you need to make difference between branches of german military, plus the various para-military thuggeries the nazis had, and even different divisions/groups. Also, while the higher ups issued all sorts of directives, not all of them were summarily put into action by all of the actuall field commanders. I seem to recall Rommel being somewhat clean in this regard.
        Rommel was a notable exception- other army commanders exceeded their orders (specifically with regard to the Commando Order).

It was also believed that members of the Wehrmacht were not involved in war crimes or atrocities, which was not the case, as a famous travelling exhibition of the 1990s revealed to a shocked German public.

As other posters didn't specify which elements of the Nazi forces were to have captured them I didn't feel the need to go into too much detail, although I did mention the Totenkopf by name.

Also, you're acting as if some of us are claiming being captured by the Third Reich would be pleasant experience, if you are a soldier of any enemy nation.
        I don't think so- just that having had to go through the details of Nazi war crimes and atrocities again in the course of refuting Ned's feeble arguments in another thread means they're rather prominent in my mind.

German treatment of Russian prisoners of war was not according to the Geneva Convention- and they made no secret of it.

They were also quite exact about how members of the Polish military were to be treated.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

This is just it -- all three groups committed horrible atrocities. The point of this thread is to examine our perceptions.
          The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Well you can muster a pretty good guess what I WON'T be voting for, right?
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
              This is just it -- all three groups committed horrible atrocities. The point of this thread is to examine our perceptions.
              No it's not. The voting and posts clearly indicate that this thread is about how many respondants have blue eyes and blond hair.

Comment

Adolf is my man!!

no jew in me. I have german ancestery. I'm hip with the nazi thing. just don't ask me to kill any jews. I think I could talk myself out of prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

No it's not. The voting and posts clearly indicate that this thread is about how many respondants have blue eyes and blond hair.
                  i voted nazi and i have neither.

Comment

I'm as blue eyed and blond haired as Hitler himself.

Comment

sorry had to the route of China

just for the shear size of shared misery
                      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

reminds me of
                        Would you rather drive a railroad spike through your:
                        [ ] Right eye
                        [ ] Left eye

but I guess I'll take the Nazis. Same thing another guy said about the devil that you know.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                        X