No announcement yet.

The United States's singular nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought they only make silly language changes here in Ger.
    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
      BTW, prior to the Amer Civil War, it was customary to say "The United States have" IE to treat it as a plural. After the Civil War, the usage as a singular became standard.
      That figures. The individual states had more power then, and the federal gummnit less. I suspect as the power of the federal gov't grew, the concept of the USA as one united entity did as well and resulted in The United States has...

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

That figures. The individual states had more power then, and the federal gummnit less. I suspect as the power of the federal gov't grew, the concept of the USA as one united entity did as well and resulted in The United States has...

-Arrian
        My impression it less the gradually increasing power of the fed govt, and more the triumph of the concept of the US as one nation, rather than as a federation of sovereign states.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The two sort of go hand-in-hand, though, don't you think?

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

WRT "join together," look up "pleonasm."
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

At first, thanks for your answer, that made things clear - I won't use the "'s" then.

Now for the second:
              Originally posted by Wycoff
              The thing that drives me crazy today is the usage of an apostrophe to show plurality. For example, people are starting to write "We have ten dog's" rather than "We have ten dogs."
              We have something similar happening here. People start changing the German genitive s-ending into a 's-possessive ending, just like in English. The problem: this does not exist in German.
              Especially pubs and shops do that. In German, "Hermanns Bar" would be correct, now it's "Hermann's Bar". That is especially bothersome when the name has some dialect in it, like: "Mitzi's Stubn" or "Maxi's Beisl".
              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                WRT "join together," look up "pleonasm."
                I didn't want to use difficult words.
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

No, pleonasm is the name for that phenomenon of redundant phrasing. It's quite common in English, and mostly occurs for emphasis.
                  1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    No, pleonasm is the name for that phenomenon of redundant phrasing. It's quite common in English, and mostly occurs for emphasis.
                    In German, you can hear the word at best in high school - if you have a good language teacher. However, I doubt that more than 1-2% actively use it.

Comment

Yeah, we don't use it much here either. I was just showing off.
                      1011 1100

Comment

The United States are one entity so I'd go with the singular when refering to it as a proper noun. I.E. There maybe many states in the United States but there is only one United States.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          The United States are one entity so I'd go with the singular when refering to it as a proper noun. I.E. There maybe many states in the United States but there is only one United States.
                          Well, yes, that's what I said in the OP. The question was about the possessive ending.

Comment

'Joined together' is not a redundant usage particularly, as you can be 'joined by', and they have different connotations to simply 'joined'.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The obvious solution would be to refer to the USA as "America".
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                                I thought they only make silly language changes here in Ger.
                                Well, none of this is official, as in coming down from the gov't. The Modern Language Association (MLA) puts out certain guidebooks from time-to-time, but they should be treated more as style suggestions rather than rules.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X