The United States's singular nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    BTW, prior to the Amer Civil War, it was customary to say "The United States have" IE to treat it as a plural. After the Civil War, the usage as a singular became standard.
    Drat...I wanted to say that.

Comment

I was taught that singular noun possessives always had to have the 's even if this was ridiculous and led to situations where words ended in ss's, etc.

The United States' solution implies that The Unites States is a plural noun.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
        My impression it less the gradually increasing power of the fed govt, and more the triumph of the concept of the US as one nation, rather than as a federation of sovereign states.
        IIRC the first use of "United States" as singular was just after the civil war.

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff
          The thing that drives me crazy today is the usage of an apostrophe to show plurality. For example, people are starting to write "We have ten dog's" rather than "We have ten dogs."
          I would say the apostrophe is not showing plurality, but is incorrectly inserted in a plural word.

I've seen it used with plurals of abbreviations, as in "We have ten CD's," but I still leave it out: "... ten CDs."
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

The ' in plurals of acronyms/abbreviations is wrong.

I would like to know where does the ' in contra'd comes from though. It seems unusual but also correct.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
              The ' in plurals of acronyms/abbreviations is wrong.
              So you would say "... ten CD"?

I would like to know where does the ' in contra'd comes from though. It seems unusual but also correct.
              Apostrophes can indicate letters left out. I haven't seen "contra'd" before - do you have a sentence?
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon

So you would say "... ten CD"?
                Ten CDs. No ' in there.

Apostrophes can indicate letters left out. I haven't seen "contra'd" before - do you have a sentence?
                "The £10 debit to my account was an accident and the bank contra'd the entry the following day".

Comment

The only time I would use a ' in a plural is if talking about things such as letters. The letter there are several s's, u's and e's in this sentence. Just seems more natural and easier to understand.

Comment

"Contra" doesn't appear in the dictionary as a verb...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      "Contra" doesn't appear in the dictionary as a verb...
                      It does in legal and financial documentation that I read regularly....

I'm not surprised it's not in the dictionary, it may be too parochial.

Comment

What does it mean?
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                          The obvious solution would be to refer to the USA as "America".
                          Says the man with the nickname Columbus.
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                            What does it mean?
                            Contra? I thought you were an accountant? A contra is an entry made to nullify a previous entry. If two or more entries are contra'd against each other then they are each nullified.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                              Ten CDs. No ' in there.
                              Way back in school, I was taught to put the apostrophe when pluralizing letters or numbers: three 9's -- but I don't. I just looks wrong.

Comment

I was always taught that ' is only to be added to plural words that end in "s". Such as "rocket's engine." If it was a plual that didn't end in "s" you would add "'s". Such as "children's room." Any singular words that end in "s" are to have "'s" added.

On the United States being singular, well the United States is a single country (Shut up Tacc! ) so I would say that it is singular.
                                USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                                The video may avatar is from

Comment

Working...
                                X