Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The United States's singular nature

This is a language thread.

I'm asking because I know that "the United States" has to be treated as singular: "The United States has" and not "...have".
    But that means as a consequence that I'd have to write "The United States's efforts" - and this hurts.
    So, is it correct?

On another note: do you think "join together" is a good expression?
    I think "together" is completely redundant since you can't "join apart".

Opinions please.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Wouldn't "The United States' (so without another "s") efforts" do it? Also, if you're unsure, can't you simply change the sentence to a form you're sure about?
    Blah

Comment

Don't worry, a native English speaker has arrived...

...erm, not the foggiest BeBro's sounds right though
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

"The efforts of the United States..."

"Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Thank you nad congrats, Stuie. Harrison, um um um. You get a Viking smiley.
          Worthless for worthless.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

"join together" is ok, I think, as an expression. There may be some redundancy but unless you are paying by the letter I don't see a problem.

Interestingly US English and British English do treat some nouns differently - like band names are treated as plural here but singular in the US. So in the US : "Led Zeppelin was a rock band" but in the UK "Led Zeppelin were a rock band".
            Last edited by Cort Haus; March 6, 2007, 09:31.

Comment

The Who "Join Together with the band"
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Several politicians us "join together," and I'm not just talking about Bush.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                  Wouldn't "The United States' (so without another "s") efforts" do it?
                  As I understand it, in singular, the second "'s" is required although it's often omited in practice. I may be wrong though, that's why I need a native speaker with grammar knowledge to clear things up.

Also, if you're unsure, can't you simply change the sentence to a form you're sure about?
                  It's not MY text.

Thanks, Cort Haus, for clarifying the join together bit.
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

As I understand it, in singular, the second "'s" is required although it's often omited in practice. I may be wrong though, that's why I need a native speaker with grammar knowledge to clear things up.
                    I'm pretty sure you don't use the second "s." It's the United States' effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

In English, the 's is added in two situations. It is mandatory when the noun ends in any letter other than s.

For example: the lion's den.

The other time that it can be used is in connection with someone's name: Charles's car.

However, "Charles' car" is also proper.

If the noun is not a name but ends with an s, then you leave off the s.:

For example: the birds' nest.

You can use either United States's or United States'
                      I prefer the version without the s.
                      I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Spell checker doesn't like United States's and I've never seen it like that. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                          Spell checker doesn't like United States's and I've never seen it like that. I could be wrong though.
                          I think that this is part of the language that is currently in flux. When I was in elementary school, I was taught that you never added the s when the word ended with an s, even if the noun was someone's name. However, that has changed. Charles's is acceptable usage now. I think that United States's would also be acceptable.

The thing that drives me crazy today is the usage of an apostrophe to show plurality. For example, people are starting to write "We have ten dog's" rather than "We have ten dogs."
                          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

BTW, prior to the Amer Civil War, it was customary to say "The United States have" IE to treat it as a plural. After the Civil War, the usage as a singular became standard.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff
                              Charles's is acceptable usage now. I think that United States's would also be acceptable.
                              Yeah, Charles's is ok because of phonetics I think, but not United States's.
                              The thing that drives me crazy today is the usage of an apostrophe to show plurality. For example, people are starting to write "We have ten dog's" rather than "We have ten dogs."
                              I didn't know that. That is disturbing.

Comment

Working...
                              X