Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant phallus spews on unsuspecting citizens

Large ice slabs fall off Toronto buildings

TORONTO, Ontario (Reuters) -- Police closed several major Toronto streets Monday after huge slabs of ice started skidding off skyscrapers in the city's downtown core.

Roads closed to traffic included parts of the Gardiner Expressway, an elevated freeway that leads to downtown Toronto, causing major traffic snarls during the morning rush hour.

CP-24 television showed pictures of cars with smashed windscreens and said witnesses reported seeing ice slabs "the size of a kitchen table" skidding off buildings like the CN Tower, dubbed the world's tallest free-standing structure.

One police officer said a slab "four feet by four feet and several inches thick" fell from the CN Tower, according to a report from The Globe and Mail Web site.

"Current weather conditions are presenting safety concerns," a police statement said. "The closures will remain in effect as long as there is a danger to public safety."

Toronto, Canada's largest city, has faced a combination of snow and thaw during the past few days. A winter storm last Thursday dumped several centimeters of snow on the city, and then a night of rain turned that snow into icy porridge.

Then the weather turned cold again, and the porridge turned back to ice, which started melting in Monday's morning sun.

City planning.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Toronto

''That's just stupid, that's the way Toronto is." -- Toronto Maple Leafs forward Matt Stajan.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

While I enjoy crapping on Toronto as much as the next guy, I don't think that this is an unknown issue in most Canadian cities.

I believe it can happen from time to time. I have seen sidewalks closed here in Calgary due to falling ice issue
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
        While I enjoy crapping on Toronto as much as the next guy, I don't think that this is an unknown issue in most Canadian cities.

I believe it can happen from time to time. I have seen sidewalks closed here in Calgary due to falling ice issue
        Toronto closed down its major artery into the downtown core, not a sidewalk.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Toronto closed down its major artery into the downtown core, not a sidewalk.
          Thats just a matter of scale.

OH and if you want to talk city planning, it looks like a "major artery in the downtown core" of Calgary may be closed for a year (Sixth Avenue) for building construction. Apparently the choices are to fully close it for a year or have it partially closed for two years.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Gotta do what you gotta do.

Comment

Where's Tingkai when you need him?
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Giant phallus...? Are you familiar with the old saying that, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail?
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    Giant phallus...? Are you familiar with the old saying that, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail?

Are you saying that as a gay man Asher is obsessed with phallic imagry??

Comment

No, I'm saying that as Asher, Asher is obsessed with phallic imagery. Hence the avatar.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Wait, how does Asher's avatar look like a phallus?
                        B♭3

Comment

Re: Giant phallus spews on unsuspecting citizens

Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            Wait, how does Asher's avatar look like a phallus?
                            He told ming or rah ( I forget which) that it was a phallus wearing a turban-- THis was in the wake of the suggestive avatar removals.

It might have been rah that indicated that he found that description of Asher's avatar funny so he almost fell over or peed himself or something

Comment

OMG, ice on buildings during the winter! Whouda thunk it?

Comment

Working...
                              X