What is the best religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastafarianism. Duh!
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Buddhism. That violent "God" fellow is nowhere to be found, but less characters to remember than more polytheistic faiths.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Buddhism is the upgraded version of Hinduism. It tosses all the crazy out and leaves a much more sensible religion that everyone can enjoy.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

That's where the problem of definitions crops up.

Who is to define what is "Hinduism"?
          Me.

Can it be separated from the other Indic traditions with which it is cross-compatible?
          Yes, but that doesn't mean they can't overlap and integrate with one another. Much like many Christian practices are integrated with pagan traditions.

Can it include the traditions which were its predecessors, and some elements of whose continuity are still part of it, but are no longer central (such as the worship of our ancestors, whom we call the pitrus)?
          Yes, but they must be looked at in a historical context. One must be able to recognize the difference between modern Hinduism and the Hinduism of the past. To do otherwise, would lead to perversion of the religion. This is also in other religions.

The problem is, there is no one "Hinduism", and there is no way you can say that "Hinduism believes in X", because there are usually many opinions within what Hinduism is defined to be on X, whatever it is. "Y religion believes in Z" can only be said if said religion Y has a hierarchy of religious decision-makers who decide, and the consensus among whom is taken to speak on behalf of Y. Hinduism has no such hierarchy, and no consensus, either.
          So all you're saying is that there are different sects of Hinduism, just like there are different sects in Christianity and Islam.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by _BuRjaCi_
            What is the best poison?

But if you have to have one, go with the Roman Catholic Church. They have a much better stance on evolution and on the literal meaning of the Bible than the crazy American protestants™ .
            Shows what you know. The Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States of America has a much better stance on everything than the Roman Catholics. Women, Gays, Immigrants, World Development, you name it, we're way ahead of them all.

After Vatican II we were happy that the Roman Catholics had finally adopted most of the reforms that the Anglican churches adopted at the time of their formation. We hope that it will not take them another 450 years to embrace the next round of reforms.

Want to do something to strike a blow at backward thinking religion? Don't buy Coors beer. The family that own Coors beer have been paying off the African members of the Anglican communion. They want to kick PECUSA out of the Anglican Communion and replace it with their own conservative version.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
              (my) defenition of a religion: organized human attempts to achieve a greater goal in life.

I am opposed to all religions.
              You certainly are a strange one.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Ba'hais seem like nice chaps.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

They're just weak-willed fencesitters!
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Shows what you know. The Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States of America has a much better stance on everything than the Roman Catholics. Women, Gays, Immigrants, World Development, you name it, we're way ahead of them all.
                    Many aethiests have the same opinions on those topics. Doesn't mean that they're not bloody heathens.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

Many aethiests have the same opinions on those topics. Doesn't mean that they're not bloody heathens.
                      Many atheists also don't have the same opinion on those topics...... they're called Nazis.

If you can't serve God .................................................. .................................................. ..............serve Godwin!
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

After Vatican II we were happy that the Roman Catholics had finally adopted most of the reforms that the Anglican churches adopted at the time of their formation. We hope that it will not take them another 450 years to embrace the next round of reforms.

Want to do something to strike a blow at backward thinking religion? Don't buy Coors beer. The family that own Coors beer have been paying off the African members of the Anglican communion. They want to kick PECUSA out of the Anglican Communion and replace it with their own conservative version.

Oh, I thought we were talking about major religions.

If we are not, then I suggest every one converts to
                        Me-ism the only religion that truly cares about you, most of the other ones are all about that God person. Who needs him right?
                        I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Working...
                        X