Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bill Hicks responsible for Margaret Cho?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He could be funny:

Fundamentalist Christianity. Fascinating. These people actually believe the world is 12 thousand years old. Swear to God! Based on what? I asked them. "Well, we looked at all the people in the Bible, and we added them up all the way back to Adam and Eve, their ages – 12 thousand years." Well, how ****ing scientific! Okay. I didn't know that you'd gone to so much trouble there. That's good.

You believe the world's 12 thousand years old? "That's right." Okay, I got one word to ask you. A one word question. Ready? "Uh-uh." Dinosaurs.

You know, the world's 12 thousand years old and dinosaurs existed, and they existed in that time … you'd think it would have been mentioned in the ****ing Bible at some point. "And lo, Jesus and the disciples walked to Nazareth. But the trail was blocked by a giant brontosaurus … with a splinter in his paw. And O, the disciples did run a-shrieking: 'What a big ****ing lizard, Lord!' But Jesus was unafraid, and he took the splinter from the brontosaurus's paw, and the big lizard became his friend. And Jesus sent him to Scotland where he lived in a loch for O, so many years, inviting thousands of American tourists to bring their fat ****ing families and their fat dollar bills. And O, Scotland did praise the Lord: 'Thank you, Lord. Thank you, Lord. Thank you, Lord.'"

and he could be deep:

The world is like a ride in an amusement park and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and around and around and it has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud. And it's fun - for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question; is this real? Or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, and they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because... this is just a ride."

Bill Hicks, the comedians comic.
    (Izzard - among others - borrowed quite alot from him)
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
      He could be funny:
      Well... we'll just have to disagree.

and he could be deep:

Just because he could look up the last guy that said the same thing and regurgitate it during his show doesn't make him deep.

Bill Hicks, the comedians comic.
      (Izzard - among others - borrowed quite alot from him)
      The big difference being Izzard is funny. Heck Izzard makes me cry most of the times I've watched him. I don't buy comedy albums because how many times can you hear the same joke, really? But he has made me want to, and that's a big deal.

He and Billy Connoly are two of the funniest people I've ever heard speak. And if you've ever heard Connoly you know it's not material, he's really that funny.

Connoly reminds me of when Robin Williams was good.

Tom P.

EDIT: it's hard to insult someone's intelligence when you can't spell.

Comment

Well, I can't hate a person who likes Izzard
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
          ... As for Margaret Cho, I can't remember anything by her. But I seem to remember being kind of funny. Just not realy funny.
          She was funny before she got her sit-com...in which the network tried to clean up her image and totally destroyed her.

But some of her earlier jokes:

"I was doing a gig at the University of Miami, and they sent a kid to pick me up at the airport. As we were driving back, he said, 'I can't get over how much you look like my sister.' "Really?!' I said, 'do you have a picture?' So he showed it to me--and she was so ugly!"

"I haven't had sex in three years! I'm thinking about spreading leaves over my vigina and hoping that some guy comes walking along and falls in."

Comment

I've also heard a lot on Hicks, especially how Dennis Leary supposedly stole from him. But I've seen the Youtube stuff on Hicks... he isn't funny. Leary, OTOH, IS. So, even if Leary stole from Hicks (aside from the angry white guy smoker, I don't see it), it doesn't matter because Leary does it 10 times better.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I find it amusing that Drake claims to have watched hours of someone he found unfunny.

That's dedication.

No, it's procrastination. Luckily, we had a blizzard last night and school got cancelled, though, so I didn't have to go and fail a Japanese test.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc

I remember one of his another sketch about the L.A. Riot!
                "Step On The Gas" - hilarious.

I like Hicks and am definitely not left wing.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  I've also heard a lot on Hicks, especially how Dennis Leary supposedly stole from him. But I've seen the Youtube stuff on Hicks... he isn't funny. Leary, OTOH, IS. So, even if Leary stole from Hicks (aside from the angry white guy smoker, I don't see it), it doesn't matter because Leary does it 10 times better.
                  Dr. Dennis Leary

Izzard

Hicks, just based on what alva quoted... meh.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                  X