No announcement yet.

If you're not a criminal/terrorist you have nothing to hide in your computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PH, sure. Except it's close to impossible. And like in our case, since it's a secret, well.. it's a secret.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Well the problem is now that often the security services are so confident in what they do that even when they are caught with their pants down, they shrug it off in a 'so what?' manner. There's no counter to their abuses.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

That's right, there is no counter. There's also no control of it at all.

So, if we are talking about spying on all citizens, I'm just against it and there's no two ways about it. And not just because of the technical difficulties and implications of it, but also from the idea point of view. I just think it's a bad idea, wrong, unethical and plain stupidity.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          Again Kuci, this is also just as dangerous if misapplied.

As Koyaa said, if the judicial oversight that guards this fails you wouldn't be protected anyway because they could just as well give a warrant to search your home. You have no less protection against the police after this.

Comment

There needs to be more disclosure after the event and means of making it hard to cover up where these tools are being abused.
            They already have to tell a judge.

Comment

What will become justifiable grounds for monitoring someone? Has recently history not yet demonstrate how these powers can be misabused as is definitely the case in my country - look at the number of raids performed against people of Islamic background that have been unjustified. Look at the complete screw-up that was the Jean Charles de Menezes business in London, over which no one has been brought to account for their actions.

Excuse me for being so suspicious, but I am, I don't like being spied on, when it is on the grounds of a vague suspicion.
              Especially when you're "either with us or you're against us". Add the deal between the UK and the USA that, as I understand it, allows any UK citizen to be extradited on nothing more than the say-so of the US.

Comment

Working...
              X