Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riots! In! Montreal! Cause: Rebel car dealership open on weekends!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riots! In! Montreal! Cause: Rebel car dealership open on weekends!

Protesters keyed up, but dealer stands firm
    Outlet opens for third weekend. 'They're trying to intimidate our customers and this is supposed to be a free country'

WILLIAM MARSDEN, The Gazette
    Published: Sunday, February 25, 2007

About 60 car salespeople clashed with police and security guards yesterday outside an east-end car dealership to protest against the owner's decision to remain open on weekends.

In defiance of a court injunction, the protesters attempted to block customers from entering or leaving the car lot.

Fifteen police officers pushed them aside. But that didn't stop protesters from scratching the sides of at least two demonstrator cars in the process, said Samir Hajjar, manager of used car sales at the Pie IX Dodge Chrysler 2000 dealership.

Hajjar, who was struck on the forehead last weekend with a chunk of ice thrown by a protester, watched as the demonstrators blocked cars.

"See, they are trying to intimidate our customers and this is supposed to be a free country,'' he said.

Protesters gathered outside the St. Leonard dealership when it opened at 10 a.m. But the dealership was ready with its own muscle. In addition to the police, it had three handlers with muzzled guard dogs as well as seven private security guards patrolling the property. A cameraman videotaped all the demonstrators.

The dealership obtained a Quebec Superior Court injunction Friday against any obstruction, vandalism or attempt to intimidate customers or employees of the dealership.

The protesters are members of the Montreal Automobile Dealers Corporation, which represents 220 new-car dealerships in Montreal, Laval, the South Shore, Repentigny and Ile Perrot. The organization does not allow its members to open on weekends. In retaliation for its weekend openings, the MADC expelled Pie IX Dodge Chrysler from the organization.

Daniel Cadieux, a sales director at Centre-Ville Volkswagen in Montreal, was one of the many protesters who braved the cold weather to voice his opposition to the weekend opening.

"If we allow all the dealers to open seven days a week, it will mean we have to work seven days a week," he said. "And when will we ever get any time with our families?"

By opening on weekends, dealerships will be forced to hire unprofessional salespeople and the customer will not get the same level of service, Cadieux said.

The protesters carried a banner that read: "It's 35 degrees Celsius; your boss is playing golf or sunbathing by the pool with his family; the clients are at their chalets; while you are sitting on your rear end eating Pop Tarts."

But inside Pie IX Dodge Chrysler, where employees watched the demonstrators, there was no sign of Pop Tarts or unhappiness with the new shifts.

"Instead of working five days a week from noon until 9 at night, I now work four days a week - 35 hours - and get three days off," financing manager Gina Meo said.

While she has to rotate through weekend shifts, Meo said she still has more time with her three children.

Salesman Jacques Tabbakh agreed. Dealers have to face the reality that customers want to shop for cars on weekends, he said.

Customer Raymond Basque, 52, of St. Leonard, said the reason he came to the dealership is because it was open on weekends.

"I love it. It's about time. The weekend is the only time I have to shop for a car."

His brother Dennis said he has to take time off from work every time he needs to look for new car.

"So, it actually costs me money just to get out to a dealer," he said. "People don't have the time during the week and dealerships have to serve the customers. Anyway, this is supposed to be free enterprise."

This marks the third weekend the Pie IX dealership has opened. On the first weekend, it sold 15 new and used cars. On the second, it sold 12.

By 2 p.m., the protesters had left, the dealership had sold four cars and Hajjar was defiant.

"Out of the two or three thousand car salesmen in this city, they could only muster 60; this is not going to scare anybody," he said. "This should not stop any dealers from opening on a weekend."
    What a backwards province, Quebec...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

More brilliance from Quebec.

Muslim girl ejected from tournament for wearing hijab
    Last Updated: Sunday, February 25, 2007 | 10:12 PM ET
    CBC News

Five young teams from across Canada walked out of a Quebec soccer tournament Sunday because a young Muslim girl was ejected for wearing a hijab.

Calling the rule banning the headscarf worn by Muslim women racist, four other teams followed Asmahan Mansour's team, the Nepean Selects from Ottawa, after she was thrown out for running afoul of a Quebec Soccer Association rule.

Asi and teamates on the Nepean Selects.Asi and teamates on the Nepean Selects.
    (CBC)

"The referee was staring and pointing. 'She can't play,'" said Asmahan, Asi to her friends. "I was like why? Why can't I play?"

Because of a safety rule, league spokesman Lyes Arfa said. He pointed out that the referee is Muslim himself, and that the ban on hijabs is to protect children from being accidentally strangled.

"We have to protect the players on the field, and that's the main point. It's not against the Muslims."

And the league had told organizers about the rule — "The wearing of the Islamic veil or any other religious item is not permitted" — before the game.

Asi's team was aware of the rule, but didn't expect it would be enforced.

So when it was, many players and adults were outraged.

Girls backed up teammate

"I automatically went back to the referee: 'Are you sure this is what you wanna do?'" said Louis Maneiro, the Selects' head coach. When nothing changed, he said, "I just decided that there's no way that I would allow our team to continue, and the girls backed up Asi very strongly."

Asi's teammates supported the move. "I felt disgraced, I was crushed, I couldn't see Asi like that," said Lisa Furano.

"It's just a piece of material, it can't do any harm," added Alicia Stainton.

The Selects left the tournament in good spirits. But they say they won't come back until the rule changes.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

This reminds me of France

Getting home at 7pm from work was not conducive to doing any sort of shopping.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

You can take the man out of France, but you can't take France out of the man
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

ZOMFG YOU CAN4T SHOP ON SUNDAYS OR AFTER 7PM1!!
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

That is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid.

Comment

You can drink in the street and **** behind containers without anyone caring. That's what I call a real country.

Comment

By opening on weekends, dealerships will be forced to hire unprofessional salespeople and the customer will not get the same level of service, Cadieux said.

Now, thats a car salesman...

-Hi, I'm here for the carsalesman job
                -Do you have any experience?
                -Yes, 10 years
                -I'm sorry...

Spec.
                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

own goal

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                    You can drink in the street and **** behind containers without anyone caring. That's what I call a real country.
                    Somolia?
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Nope, AIDS is not that bad.

Comment

Why would you want to drink in a street?

Comment

50cl of beer at supermarket: € 0,33
                          50cl of beer at pub: € 5,00

Comment

And glad to see you recognize the value of ****ing behind containers

Comment

ZOMFG YOU CAN4T SHOP ON SUNDAYS OR AFTER 7PM1!!
                              It's a fairly major annoyance actually. I like being able to go to the supermarket or some sort of food store on days other than Saturday, you know... particularly, if on Saturday I plan on doing something else like leaving the country or whatnot.

I can't count the number of times I've gone in to the supermarket a couple blocks away after 11pm here. Then again, my sleep schedule is totally different now that I'm back in school.
                              "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                              X