• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Sinkhole Swallowing Homes, People

Giant Sinkhole Swallows Homes, Killing Two

By JUAN CARLOS LLORCA
    AP

GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala (Feb. 24) - A 330-foot-deep sinkhole killed two teenage siblings when it swallowed about a dozen homes early Friday and forced the evacuation of nearly 1,000 people in a crowded Guatemala City neighborhood.

Officials blamed the sinkhole on recent rains and an underground sewage flow from a ruptured main. They warned that the crater could widen or others could open up.

The bodies of the brother and sister were found near the enormous fissure, floating in a river of sewage. Their father was still missing, according to disaster coordinator Hugo Hernandez.

"We have closed the valves on the storm and sewer drains and we are going to wait until the area stabilizes before going down there to evaluate, but in the meantime, the mouth of the hole will certainly become larger," said Alvaro Rodas, the director of social development for Guatemala City.

The pit emitted foul odors, loud noises and tremors, shaking the surrounding ground. A rush of water could be heard from its depths.

Authorities have warned that the sounds coming from the sinkhole augured further possible collapses, and possibly the destruction of more homes. The dwellings around the crater have been evacuated, and police cordoned off a 500-yard security perimeter around the hole.

Edward Ramirez said he and other residents had been hearing noises and feeling tremors for about a month before the ground opened up before dawn, waking many in the poor neighborhood.

"People were shouting 'The electric posts are falling down!"' said the 26-year-old Ramirez, who lives 50 yards from the hole. "We are going to a friend's house now. There's no way we'll stay here."

Authorities had apparently suspected something was wrong with the site before the sinkhole appeared.

"We knew, and the INSIVUMEH (the country's seismology institute) had placed a seismic meter there," Rodas said. "The city government had contracted a robotic camera system to go down there, but the disaster occurred first."

Maria Rivas said she was in her home when the sinkhole opened.

"I started to hear booming and I felt the earth shaking, and then I realized that the homes had collapsed" into the sinkhole, she said.

Police helped residents move out of their homes throughout the day. Some officers carried refrigerators and TV sets on their shoulders, while other pushed sofas on makeshift carts.

The dead were identified as Irma and David Soyos, said emergency spokesman Juan Carlos Bolanos.

Rescue operations were on hold until a firefighter, suspended from a cable, could take video and photos above the hole and officials could use the documentation to decide how to proceed. From the air, the sinkhole looked like a bottomless, black pit surrounded by concrete streets, tin-roofed shacks and a couple larger buildings.

Security officials guarded the site from possible looters and to clear the area of onlookers.

Cristobal Colon, a spokesman for the municipal water authority, said the sewage main ruptured after becoming clogged. He said the city was aware of the blockage and the army had been considering a controlled explosion to clear the pipe, which carries both rainwater and sewage for much of the capital.

Antonio Fuentes, 50, said he plans to abandon the run-down neighborhood he has called home for 15 years.

"Last night, a friend had to take my handicapped wife out on motorcycle," he said. "Now I'm leaving for good, never to come back."
    Edit: Too bad I can't get the picture to load. It is truely awesome.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Zkribbler; February 24, 2007, 13:10.

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

looks anal.

That mud slinging hole in Indonesia must have something to do with this. This is some sort of cosmic anal balance.
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

If that happened in a 1st world country, can you imagine the lawsuits?
        Why, Mobius would be calling for heads. I can hardly wait to find out from him how Bush caused this catastrophe.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Reminds me of a case in Ruhr Valley some years ago.

Lots of mine shaft of coal mines lie below Ruhr valley, most of them abandoned. Normally they are refilled to prevent that they cave in and affect anything above them.

But a few years ago obviously one of them caved in leaving a 4 meter wide aknmost bottomless crater and swallowing a garage and AFAIK a car
          (luckily no one got hurt and the crater was filled up with concrete)
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Note to Bush: If you guys are gonna dig a tunnel to China, make sure you learn how to convert between the metric and imperial systems
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

That is a mother****ing big hole I certainly don't want to appear in anyones backyard. I guess that it was sheer luck that only two were killed.

Mobby never needs a reason to blame bush.

Nah, in a 1st world country it wouldn't bring up lawsuits.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yes, 12 homes is much more than just a garage.
                And sounds like more homes could follow as authorities fear that the hole might get larger.

Must be a real horror when one evening you sit there, watching TV and suddenly your house and the whole neighborhood collapses around you.
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Reminds me of the story of Sita.

Comment

This reminds me - the swedes are going to relocate Kiruna because of the mine underneath the city - crazy swedes

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Edit : well, not crazy for relocating - crazy for building a city on top of a mine they knew would make the ground sink
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dûm. Shadow and Flame.
                      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dûm. Shadow and Flame.

Dribble, dribble, dibble. Pass. Fake. Shoot.

In the distant gloom, a large figure loomed. In its hand was a large glowing sphere, and across its chest, written in crude runes was the word Villanova.

"Ieeeeee!" cried the boggies. "A ball hog! A ball hog!!"

Comment

HEADLINE: IRONFORGE DISCOVERED IN GUATAMALA.
                          Millions of internet gamers book airline tickets to make pilgrimage.....

Comment

Wow. A 330-foot-deep sinkhole?! My God. What's down there? An underground river nobody knew about?

That must have been one helluva ruptured sewage main ...

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                              This reminds me - the swedes are going to relocate Kiruna because of the mine underneath the city - crazy swedes

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Edit : well, not crazy for relocating - crazy for building a city on top of a mine they knew would make the ground sink
                              That's swedish city council idiocy for you! And they're not only moving parts of Kiruna, they're also moving parts of Malmberget http://www.lkab.com/?openform&id=74CA

And it's funny BBC had to throw in a reference to WWII at the end. It's completely unrelated to the current situation...
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X