• Time
  • Show
Clear All

because people... are idiots
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

It doesn't work fast enough.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Not every scientist is like that. Some are open-minded, others aren't.

I teach philosophy at the University level and, believe me or not, scientists attend my courses and they're enjoying themselves. They participate a lot. The physicists, in particular, are excellent students. Maybe its because I teach epistemology and philosophy of science. After all, its stuff they're familiar with. And they write very well, too. OTOH, compsci students are generally poor students and have **** poor writing skills.

To answer your question, its just a received idea, a stereotype. There's no rationale, really. At least, not to the sweeping generalisations some make here. But there's a definitively a purpose: to troll us.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

science eh? u ever heard of liqui-code? the tamashii project? bio-organic machinery?
          Order of the Fly

Comment

QFT

Also, gloating is fun.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

waiting...
              Order of the Fly

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

QFT

Also, gloating is fun.
                gloating only works if the other person understands why you are.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

all you have to say is "how 'bout them apples!"

and they understand
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

no, they would try convince you of the merit of the apple
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                        You've obviously never had to take a class with moronic liberal arts students. It's torture, far worse than anything we're doing in Gitmo...
                        QFT

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                          The physicists, in particular, are excellent students. Maybe its because I teach epistemology and philosophy of science. After all, its stuff they're familiar with. And they write very well, too. OTOH, compsci students are generally poor students and have **** poor writing skills.
                          Bite me.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144

Why do you care about that?
                            Science and engineering departments subsidise arts and humanities departments. Grants are "taxed" by the university at a certain rate, and the money is redistributed to poorer departments. In general, sciences and engineering get grants while arts and humanities receive the redistributed income.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

CMU has practically no endowment. We get loads of money from federal contracts to our engineering and especially CS schools, which ends up helping fund most of the school.

Comment

IIRC, "overhead" for grant money spent on equipment comes in at close to 50% at Hopkins. That's money paid directly to the university. Some is a reasonable charge for use of facilities and personnel. Most is a simple redistribution scheme....
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X